1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

genie high-frequency connectors

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by matty8199, Apr 10, 2014.

1. matty8199

matty8199 Icon

Dec 4, 2005
    so, i had my genie installed yesterday (new build home) and the tech replaced my wall plate connectors with high-frequency ones...but he used just regular barrels so the wire is just hanging from the wall rather than sitting in the keystone plate. i went to lowes and picked up a 5-pack of high-frequency keystone connectors...but then i second guessed myself and i'm debating whether or not i should just put the original connectors back in. it's a new home and i had it pre-wired for satellite, so i'm hoping they were already acceptable...

so far, i have the genie and HR24 using the connectors he put in, one mini on one of the new lowes connectors, and one mini on the original connector. everything seems to be working as it should...is there anything specifically that would go haywire if the original connectors aren't acceptable?

2. capnp72

capnp72 New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Johnsburg, IL
    I replaced all of my wall plates with ones from a big box store with the connectors that they came with and haven't had any problems.

3. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    NO.

4. matty8199

matty8199 Icon

Dec 4, 2005
    thanks for the detailed answer...lol.

so basically i can go back to the connectors that were already there and i should be ok?

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    YESSSS !
    :D

1 person likes this.
  6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I wish DirecTV Sups would not be such hard headed and understand this simple concept

7. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Most of them only know what they have been told by someone else so if its not orange they think its going to "burn out" or something crazy.

8. dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    I've seen barrels fail many times in past with Dish equipment but very rarely with DTV, not sure reason for difference.

But agreed many of the policies are based on what's been told to them not because they understand the whys. DTV changing to the unique orange color away from Blue is strictly to be different than other companies so DTV QC techs can verify barrels were changed by a DTV tech and known to meet spec vs a possible 3rd party blue barrel still being there that may or may not (but almost definitely does) meet specs.

Sent from my SM-N900V using DBSTalk mobile app

9. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I can help but laugh every time I hear that....

10. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Fail as in "was working and quit", or fail as in "never working properly even when brand new"? It is hard to imagine how a barrel could fail, unless it was damaged or had a manufacturing defect so it couldn't capture the center conductor of the coax properly.

11. dishinitout

dishinitout Mentor

Jan 4, 2013
    Southern...
    "Was working and quit" at least 10 service calls where that was case for Dish, can't think of one like that for DTV and I've done DTV twice as long as Dish.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

12. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    And all they replaced was the barrel connectors? That doesnt really make much sense to be honest...

13. coolman302003

coolman302003 2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Jun 2, 2008
    Southeast
    For your reading pleasures... Is it better to use barrels on your wall plates or just run the cable straight through? (Solid Signal Blog)

Insightful comments from fellow staff member VOS are also included. :grin: :)

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    VOS mentions on that thread that there is stress on the cable if the barrel is not used. I really think is the other way around, there can be more stress with the barrel specially if is behind a furniture as there had to be more space to compensate for the barrel and connector

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    You may want to reread the article.

16. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Most of them know not to do what they've been back-charged for doing previously.

Both ampacity and frequency can be issues in some circumstances.

17. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    VOS's argument of loss as a function of the length of the barrel is not sound. The issues are with "insertion loss" and "return loss" those have more to do with impedance matching, reflection and scattering as opposed to voltage drop.

18. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    The supervisors (who are the people to whom peds48 and west9999 are referring) are the people who are actually initiating the back-charging.

19. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    That's easily fixed with a right angle connector on the barrel, then you don't have to worry about the cable being stressed/damaged. Hopefully no one will push furniture against it hard enough to break the barrel or 90* connector.

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    adding 2 cents:

and physically the two cuts of polypropylene around central wire will create two air gaps - here is the catch: impedance changed four times there,
    so it will creat a loss and reflections on sat signals;perhaps that .5 dB at each connection

while the barrel itself could show 1/10 loss in lab tests, when that expensive connectors made precisely to eliminate/reduce measurement's error