1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Genie (HR34) for one room

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by 1953, Jan 8, 2013.

1. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    We currently have a great HR24 w/AM21N yet the ability of the Genie to record five shows at once seems appealing. Since my wife likes to record different shows on our bedroom STD TV & STD DVR the Genie would be used only in our living room. Since I am by far not up to speed on the HR34 would it be ill advised to replace our ultra reliable HR24? Are there additional fees/cost and hidden caveats associated with this Genie in a box?

Please tolerate my ignorance.

2. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    Well if the HR34 would be in a different room then you would still need some sort of receiver to watch different programming in the bedroom. I think the HR34 would be a nice addition to what you have.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If the 34 replaces a current box, there would be no fee. If you kept everything you have, you would be charged an additional receiver fee.

4. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Thank you both.