1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie HR44 Picture Quality

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by DeweySat, Aug 15, 2013.

1. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    I just got a new HR44 Genie activated this morning. Love the speed. The picture quality isn't blowing me away however. The Genie replaced an HR22 and HR24 both of which produced an outstanding picture on our Sony TV. Extremely sharp with brilliant colors. I always marveled at how good a picture we were receiving in HD.

The HR44 picture seems to be somewhat muted if that would describe it. The colors are not brilliant, and the HD quality seems soft instead of sharp. Maybe I have missed a setting somewhere along the line. It's a good picture, just not something to write home about. The TV reports that it is receiving 1080i from the Genie, so it's not a resolution settings thing. Anyone else see this?

2. Soccernut

Soccernut AllStar

Jan 19, 2004
    I replaced an HR22 with a HR44-500 and the picture looks better to my eyes on a Plasma 65" Panasonic.

3. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Nope, if it's a different input on your TV, you may need to adjust that.

4. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    I just unplugged the wires on the back of the HR-24, and plugged them back into the HR-44. Nothing changed in the wiring or inputs.

5. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    To test another issue, I recently swapped my HR44-700 with my HR24-200, both connected to the same input on a calibrated Panasonic 65" 1080p plasma. I see no difference in picture quality between the two. Maybe it's just the picture quality of the content you first watched after switching?

6. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    Not sure. I checked several, different programs during the day today. Will give it a good test tonight.

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Make sure the HR44 is set to 1080i or p resolution. It may have started up in a lower resolution. MENU -> SETTINGS -> DISPLAY -> TV RESOLUTIONS and make sure the correct resolutions are checked. Then INFO and right arrow to Audio/Video then Change Resolution and Format until the correct resolution and format is shown in the faded letters below that option.

8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Steve is on to something. There've been reports of both better and worse acuity, saturation, tint, you name it, but most of the time our perception has changed, or the content isn't as sharp/saturated/color balanced, etc. as what we last saw or remembered.

9. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    And in looking at the Guide or List, that you haven't come from an SD show, or one was recently hit while live.

10. acostapimps

acostapimps Hall Of Famer

Nov 5, 2011
    Illinois
    Make sure you didn't hold the format button for too long as that will auto adjust to other resolutions even 480i/p, So check the settings menu under display then TV resolutions and uncheck 480i/p if that's the case.

11. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    No, it's definitely set to and operating on 1080i. And SD programs are locked out of the menu. I would never, ever watch something in SD again. I have been with DirecTV for 18 years. Almost as long as they have been in business. During that time I have installed at least a dozen receivers and DVR's, including several TIVO's. So I'm pretty confident that I have things set up right. I kind of wish I still had the HR-24 activated so I could do an A/B comparison on the same HD channel.

I can't put my finger on it. There is just something different between the picture produced by this Genie and my HR-22/HR-24. Both of the latter fed the same 52" Sony that is now being fed by the Genie. I do love the Genie though. Having a hard time getting used to the new remote after using the other one for several years. I also miss the back-lighting on the old remote. I guess I could still use it if I set it to IR. Maybe I need more than one day to play with it. :)

12. Datagg

Datagg Legend

May 17, 2009
    Mesa, AZ
    I felt the same way when going from a 24 to a 34. Things just were off, yet i accepted it as i figured that was the way it was. Then I got a new HR34 the other day, picture looked a bit better, yet still not perfect. Then the latest firmware came in and the PQ improved greatly. Quite astonishing the difference. So far so good.

Some things to try if not allready. Try changing HDMI cables. Try going straight to TV, rather AVR if you do it that way. Try componesnt cables. If running thru AVR, make sure all proccessing is off. Try your smooth motion controls in your set, artifact smoothing etc in your tv settings. Reset your TV as there could have been a handshake issue to the new box.

Just some ideas, good luck.

13. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I say switch inputs to the other one and see what happens. Also fiddle with the settings on the TV.

14. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I agree with Steve and Laxguy. The content quality is going to dictate picture quality regardless of your TV and receiver settings. CNN can be used as a example. The studio feed is 1080i and sharp as a razor but there are times when the local feed used when they are interviewing someone is of less quality. This can be seen when they use split screen during the interview. Then there are channels like Turner Classic Movies that broadcast programing in HD upconverted to the 1080i resolution format.

15. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I have an HR24 & an HR44 on the same TV, both connected to an HDMI switch to a common input on my TV. I can't see a difference. On the same channel I switched them and I can't tell which is which. They appear identical.

I seen situations where disconnecting/reconnecting a cable will cause problems. If you can try a different cable.

Since you're seeing a difference there is something not quite right. They should be nearly identical. Hopefully we can figure it out. :)

MIke

16. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    The HR44 is always "listening" in IR, even when the small remote is set up for use, so you can always use the old remote (or a universal) simultaneous with the new one.

17. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    When I adjust my picture on a TV I use one of the live talk shows or news where they have a controlled lighting set.
    Some movies or series are just not good enough to use too adjust a picture.

18. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    For those of you with small kids or grandkids, the first 10 minutes of any Sesame Street are the acid test for an accurate display calibration, IMHO.

19. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    Good point. Does anyone know what the latest software version is for the Genie HR44-500? Mine is at 0x740. Whoa! It just updated this morning! Have to see if there is any difference.

20. DeweySat

DeweySat Legend

Aug 31, 2008
    Arizona
    Good to know. Thanks.