1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Genie install...hard wire or wireless?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by tgard, Aug 15, 2013.

1. tgard

tgard New Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Jersey
    I have had Directv since it first came out. I am about to get the Genie upgrade and was wondering...will the hard wire install that Directv "professionally" installs work better than the wireless one that I can install? I received the wireless cinema kit (95w/tax) and called Directv to enable whole home dvr service. They mentioned the free Genie and Mini and I of course couldn't say no. They recommended that an installer deliver and install my new Genie and mini sibling. They also mentioned that the installer would be hard wiring my connection instead of performing a wireless install as per company policy. Now I realize that I could always redo the install wirelessly but if they are going to all that trouble for free...

---INFO---

My antique system has 6 tv's sharing the service in my house. Two tv's are utilizing both Sat1 and Sat2 tuners on their respective H21/22 DVR's. The other 4 DVR's are using only Sat1 on their respective HR21(2) ,Sat-60 and R15 DVR's. (yes I said Sat-60),(It will be a shame to see it go) I also have WD hard drives installed on two of the units for extra storage. All of the units utilize an 8-way splitter. My router and modem are quite far from my intended Genie/TV install location but I have extended the wireless signal so that it reaches the intended Genie/TV install location but not all of the dvr locations.

Attached Files:

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I can't speak for the others but the most replies and comments about wireless internet TV is to avoid it.
    There is a ton of data for a Movie or similar.
    If it is not too difficult I would use the hard wired method.

3. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    The WCCK is an odd thing to have with an HR44. They both do a similar thing.
    Connect to your router wirelessly and bridge the internet to the receivers.
    Unless the HR44 is too far from your router.

If the Ethernet cable is there use it. If you plug a RJ45 cable from your router into the HR44 it will bridge the internet to all other receivers with Whole Home DvR Service. Including the mini. Many installers do not know this as reported here on dbstalk.

Wireless will work but for reliability, use the wire if its there or can be run to the HR44 easily.

BTW, your picture shows a mulitswitch. That has to be changed with the Genie. The installer will have a lot of work to do and you have legacy equipment. Let the installer do the work.

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Both the R15 and the Sat60 are going to have to go. Neither is compatible with SWM which is mandatory for the Genie. If I'm reading your post correctly, you have four HR2x series DVRs plus the R15 and Sat60. If you replace those two (the two SD boxes) with the Genie and client, you will end up with 4 HR's plus the Genie plus the client. That adds up to 13 tuners, so DirecTV should replace the multiswitch you have shown in your picture with an SWM16 which will give you full dual tuner capability on all of the HRs.

5. tgard

tgard New Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Jersey
    I will try to avoid a wireless connection for the very reasons you point out. I guess there is a good reason why installers want to do the wired install.

I hope I get the HR44 model and not the HR34 model but I won't know until they arrive. Should I hold out for the HR44 if they come with the HR34?

6. tgard

tgard New Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Jersey
    My modem, router and ethernet cable are all upstairs and my new HR44/34 is slated to go downstairs, quite a distance from them.

If they wire up the HR44/34 upstairs instead, other than changing to a SWM16 what needs to be done to get the other DVR's connected to Whole Home?

Will each of the other DVR's that currently use only Sat1 need an additional cable from the SWM16?

7. tgard

tgard New Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Jersey
    This is a great forum. Thank you all for your responses so far.

8. longrider

longrider DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    With SWM all DVRs only need one cable. The Whole Home will function the same wherever each unit is in your house and is automatically part of a Genie install

9. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    DECAs

SWiM is single wire.

10. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Note that WHDVR sharing is only possible with HD and HDDVRs (and of course the Genie which is an HDDVR along with its clients). Per "DirecTV policy" those "legacy" DVRs will be swapped with R16 (or R22 if you are lucky) if they replace with R16, those will not be able to participate on WHDVR

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

11. tgard

tgard New Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Jersey
    Both of the legacy DVR's are being replaced in the installation with a Genie HR34/44 and a client.

I am having difficulty understanding the cabling of the WHDVR when the main component (HR44/34) is far away from the existing modem/router setup.

12. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Everything is fed by the SWiM8 or 16. The HR34/44 would be just like any other receiver getting it feed from the SWiM8/16

13. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Ok, let me see if I can make it simpler. Basically, there will be a switch similar to what you have now that will feed all the units in the house. The difference is, one wire can feed multiple tuners, so you will have all tuners working for all your equipment. The new switch will support up to 16 tuners at one time, unlike being limited to 8 and needing a single wire for every tuner like you are now.

As far as Internet connection via hard wire, it only has to enter the system in one place anywhere. The Internet feed actually then runs within the coax cable that is connecting all the units to the dish. It will then feed ALL units in the system. So if you have any TV next to the modem upstairs, they will install a splitter right there and connect it to the system. Or, they could run a line from where the switch is just to the modem and connect it that way.

(By the way, the thing you have now that all the units are connected to is called a switch. Its not quite the same as a splitter. The new install will actually have two wires coming out of the switch into a couple splitters then the lines going to each room you will be using will connect to the splitters.)

The Internet does not need to feed into the genie first to get to the rest of the system. However, it is the only unit made that can connect directly to the Internet and feed the entire system the Internet on its own. Other wises it takes one additional device they call the cck or wcck, which you just picked up. It really makes almost no difference how the Internet signal gets into the system, as long as it does somewhere.

Did that help at all?

14. tgard

tgard New Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Jersey
    I think I underestimated the capabilities of the cabling. It sounds like it works with the internet like the back feed of my current VoIP phone setup. Is that right?

That being said, will there be any conflict with my current setup that has a few diplexers combining a cable and satellite feed together on a few tv's?

15. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, that won't work. No diplexing allowed. All the coax for DirecTV (SWM and DECA) has to be ONLY for DirecTV. If you have ota or internet or anything else, it will need separate coax.

16. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    But since it looks you have a legacy set up with dual lines feeding the DVRs, you can use the second line which is no longer needed in a SWM system to feed your OTA to DirecTV

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

17. tgard

tgard New Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Jersey
    Thanks for all of the knowledge and advice. Looks like I have to do some juggling.

18. JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    I have a HR-44 Genie and 3 C41-100 with Uverse 24mbps turbomax plus voice bundle and my D* installer hooked my internet for the genie over coax and it seems to work very well.Better than wireless and just as good as ethernet.

19. carl6

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Yes, that is the DECA network and is designed to work that way. What you can't do is combine cable TV, off-air TV, or cable internet (before the cable modem) onto the same coax as DirecTV. For example, a single coax from the outside of your house to someplace inside can't be used by both DirecTV and the cable company at the same time.

20. tgard

tgard New Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Jersey
    Carl, you mentioned in a previous response that a SWM 16 will be necessary for the install and that I will end up with 13 tuners. How does that break down per box? If is it 5 tuners for the Genie, 8 for the four HR2x's and 2 for the Client, it doesn't add up right. Help.