1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Genie Mini Audio For Headphones

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jps6468, Sep 11, 2013.

1. jps6468

jps6468 Mentor

Sep 20, 2007
    I have just had installed a Genie plus a Mini in my bedroom. In the BR I previously had an HR20. I use a Sennheiser wireless headphone to keep from disturbing my wife. The headphone transmitter was connected via RCA plugs to the audio out on the HR20 with the TV sound and audio via HDMI. The Mini has some type of digital video out but I don't think this will be suitable for the headphone plugs. Can someone recommend the best way to get audio to the headphone transmitter from the Mini?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    There's a special Composite Video "dongle" cable that connects to the DIN connector on the Genie Client. It will break out the analog RCA audio and composite video signals. You can get one by calling DirecTV, or order via dealers like Solid Signal.

3. LiQiCE

LiQiCE Mentor

Feb 13, 2006
    Northern...
    litzdog911's answer is correct - additionally though, you may be able to see if your TV has Audio Out. Some TVs have RCA Audio out which you could hook up to your headphones. One advantage of this is in some cases (depends on your TV model), the TV's volume control can also control the volume to the headphones, so you can raise/lower the volume with the TV remote.

4. jps6468

jps6468 Mentor

Sep 20, 2007
    Thanks to you both for the quick response. I called DTV today and they are sending the dongle adapter. I can't locate an audio out on my TV - I could probably use a headphone jack on the TV but it would be a not-too-neat wiring connection. The dongle can be concealed with the other equipment. Thanks again...