1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie mini clients and IP

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ysottot, Jul 29, 2013.

1. ysottot

ysottot New Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Colorado...
    Does the mini genie clients need to have IP addresses assigned? I have the DCA2SR0-18 and have given my clients IP addresses. Also gave the DCA and address.
    Issue is that in the mini clients I can't get YouTube to work. It does work on the Genie H34.
    Also when I run the "connect network" I get the message "network services have started successfully, but connection tests failed.
    Any ideas?

1 person likes this.
  2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    First ignore network services completely. They do nothing for you unless you use century link telephone service.

Second, let it go all auto ip addresses and see what happens. There should never be a need to assign IP address to any dtv equipment. Some people say it works better that way, but i believe something is unusual in their home network (i think they have something on their network that conflicts with dtv equipment for some reason. upnp is something that has been suggested sometimes to be turned off to fix issues and it has for many, including me.) for that to the the case because I have never run assigned ips and everything works fine for me.

3. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    All my clients have IP addresses, I see then using DHCP to ask for an address in my routers log.

I take it you're running the connect network from the HR34 since if you go to the network settings tab on the clients it says you can't to that from there. BTW, you can tell if the C31/C41 are doing a function vs. the HR34/HR44 (like remote control), the clients use a different font when doing functions directly on the them vs, the Genie server.

If you hit the - (botton left corner) on the remote for the HR34 what does it say?

4. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Florida
    Not to hijack this thread, as I was just going to start a thread close to topic. To OP please don't be mad at me. I am also wondering if I should static ip my clients and genie via my router. I have done it today but found something odd in all this. Im miffed about this one.

In my system info display page the mac id's for clients match the original box each client came in. I static ip'd all devices before connecting them to the router itself. Then I checked the connected devices and one client was not at the static ip I chose for it, furthermore the mac id was different on fifth pair of letter/# set. The device in question is a C41-500, my other client is a C41-100.

Any ideas?

I changed static ip for the C41-500 to what it gave me when at the wrong ip.

5. ysottot

ysottot New Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Colorado...
    says
    Receiver 423460
    SWiM Connected
    Internet: Connected

the above shows on all TV's
    Then You Tube app should run?

6. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Yes then it should run, check parental controls, if enabled, to allow web videos.

7. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I've seen behavior like that on other boxes, like my OOMA adapter. I just used what the router logs show as the MAC that the DHCP request came from and not worry about it.

8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Unless you're an expert on LANs, and maybe even if you are, there's no need now for fixed IPs, and they can cause problems. For those on fixed IPs and no problems, of course, leave it be.

I'd run complete set up again, using defaults.

9. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Florida
    There are a lot of devices connected to my network, furthermore I do not have a back up power supply. I live in FL and there are frequent brief power outages. Therefore I prefer to static ip most all items. There is no way to manually set the ip at each client, only the genie itself. So that is why I prefer static ip's.

Called DTV and no help, yes its all working...but still does anybody know why one client is showing a different mac id on my routers connected devices page?

10. ysottot

ysottot New Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Colorado...
    Nothing is blocked in the parental controls. When I try the You tube and watch something app I get a message saying there was a problem connecting to the internet. I run the test and it tells me I have no phone connected.
    I works on the main Genie unit but none of the clients.

11. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Just tried mine and the client plays YouTube just fine. Guess I'd call DIRECTV and report the problem to them.

12. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Wow ... I'm sort of lost on this thread;

I don't have any of the RVU Mini Genies in my setup here, but I was told a while back the Mini Genies only use 169.254.xxx.xxx APIPA range addresses to connect to the Genie server, nor did I know there any way to assign them static IPs like the Genie sever or other DVRs.

I thought RVU capable TVs don't use APIPA and can be assigned static IPs, but not the Mini Genies.

Live and learn I guess ...

13. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    You absolutely do not need fixed IPs to get whole home, and Genie-client going on internet nor to interconnect. I don't know why you won't try what I suggest. Clients get a MAC address that's out of range of just about any router.

14. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    The mini clients can only get an address via DHCP, there are no settings in the box to assign a static.

15. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Florida
    Im no expert in any of this stuff, I do know a lot though about the networking side of things. Thank you RAD for a response.

16. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    There are a lot of devices connected to my network, furthermore I do not have a back up power supply. I live in FL and there are frequent brief power outages. Therefore I prefer to static ip most all items. There is no way to manually set the ip at each client, only the genie itself. So that is why I prefer static ip's.

Called DTV and no help, yes its all working...but still does anybody know why one client is showing a different mac id on my routers connected devices page?

To add to what others have already said about just using auto, as to why it shows a different Marc address who knows. Not something I'd worry about if ts working. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a mislabel on the box.

As for your frequent power outages, that really shouldn't matter no matter which route you go the router should take care of it either way when power comes back up. If its all on auto, it will assign again, and in my experience, usually the same ip addresses as well. My suggestion however is to put your router and modem and such on a battery backup. I have all my gear including my DVRs on battery backups due to power power fluctuations and outages in my area. Its not because I worry about ip addresses or anything of that nature, it's because I worry about my equipment getting fired for having the wrong voltage and massive surges when power goes on and off. Any reason you don't have a batter backup? They aren't to expensive if you get a small one just for your router and modem.

17. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Florida
    It is not a mislabeled carton for the device. I stated that the carton sticker mac id does match the directv system info page on the genie. In my network only the second from last letter/# set of mac id is different.

18. adamson

adamson Godfather

Nov 9, 2007
    Florida
    So any guru that can explain this I would like to hear it. My whole system is working fine, very pleased with everything! Just something odd to report I guess.

19. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    OK, that clears confusion there;

But the Genie and mini clients don't use APIPA to connect with one another, and instead the mini clients get their IP addresses via DHCP from the router?

20. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    The Mini Clients actually get an IP from the Genie itself. They are in the 169.254.X.X range and you cannot set them to be static or set DHCP reservations for them.