1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie - Not (Ever?) For Me

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JohnTSmith, Feb 17, 2013.

1. JohnTSmith

JohnTSmith Legend

Dec 5, 2009
    Mostly this is just a personal comment about why I will never (?) have a Genie

The Genie sounds great... 5 tuners and you may play recorded video on any box in the house

BUT

Twice in the last year one of my two HR23 boxes has died and been replaced... which means that all recorded shows ON THAT BOX were lost

I also have 2 older DTivo boxes, each with recordings

I shudder to think what would happen if I replaced those 4 separate recorders with a Genie... and then the Genie died and I lost ALL recordings

So... no plans to ever (?) replace my 4 recorder boxes with one Genie

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Why not get a Genie and keep the others that you have (or all but the one the Genie replaces)?

3. jjn

jjn Mentor

Dec 16, 2006
    Keep your other DVR's.
    Don't have all your DTV's eggs in one basket...

4. usnret

usnret Icon

Jan 16, 2009
    Thats what I did. Got a Genie last Feb, and kept my HR24 and HR22 for backup of my most watched programs. Won't lose a thing if one of them "goes South".

5. TXD16

TXD16 Icon

Oct 29, 2008
    I've been using various iterations of DIRECTV's DVR technology since the introduction of the Philips DSR6000. In all that time, and with numerous DVRs over that period of time, I have had exactly one DVR (an R15) bite the dust. And when it happened, it was one of only two DVRs I had at the time, but it was replaced so quickly by DIRECTV that I completely forgot about any "lost" recordings, I recovered what I could from other sources, and then simply picked up where I had left off.

My point being, it's just TV. If it's that critical, store it on something other than a hard drive.

6. Rickt1962

Rickt1962 Legend

Jul 17, 2012
    Direct sucks when it comes to backups ! You can use a external drive ! But its married to your reciever :mad: When it should be married to your acct ! Dish does it why cant Direct do it ?

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You've brought that issue up time and time again. While most of us would want that, it does not like seem it will happen any time soon. DirecTV uses an encryption scheme that ties recordings to a specific receiver. DISH does not. Until DirecTV decides to redo their encryption scheme, which would most likely cost a lot of money, it's not going to happen.

- Merg

8. yall2

yall2 Mentor

Dec 5, 2010
    I guess u use ur dvr different than me. I don't concider it as an archive. At most I keep shows for a couple of weeks before I watch them and delete.

9. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    I love Dish's EHD setup, but please don't consider it a backup. You can only transfer - NOT - copy recordings because of DRM. It is nice that all VIP DVR and Hopper/Joey receivers in the account can read them and that you can use them to move to a new receiver, but again they are not backups.

10. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    With the 34s and 44s only having a 1TB drive internally and five tuners pumping content into the drives, I think eventually D* will see the light and, at least, allow for external drives to be viewed on replacement Genies. Seems logical, but that means nothing.

Rich

11. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I have a Pat Murphey (hmm. Might be Murphy) living next door to me... :lol:

I don't understand why you don't think of those HDDs within the account as backups. Could you explain further?

Rich

12. macfan601

macfan601 New Member

May 3, 2012
    I guess Directv thinks differently than you too because they called the HR34 a "media server" when it first came out. Media Server would indicate the long term storage of large quantities of media for future playback. Directv only started calling the HR34, Genie when Dish called its big DVR, Hopper. Directv wanted to be able to say we have a cute name too. I personally think the reason the hard drives are small and we can't move them on Directv DVRs is that Directv makes a large profit off of PPVs and would rather have us buying and watching those than storing programming to watch later. I have the Premier package along with the HD packages. If I am patient my premium channels offer just about any movie I want and/or that Directv offers on PPV. This is how I stock my front projector Home Theater. I never buy PPVs and very seldom buy DVDs or Blu Rays unless it is something I want as a keepsake. I make the Premier programming package more than pay off for me. What I do now as a backup for my HR34 and HR24 is burn anything valuable to a DVD. I am not sure how much longer DVD burners or DVD players are going to be around though as there is only one factory left in China that make the chips for those. Everything is going Blu Ray or streaming. I have seen computer Blu Ray burners but have never seen a Home Theater component Blu Ray burner yet. My guess is that as the DVD burners are phased out we might start seeing those.

13. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Long term storage would only apply to a media server you were actively backing up. Anyone that considers spinning disk without a backup strategy long term storage is not really thinking it through. What you're doing isnt backing up at all, its making a SD downrezzed copy, most likely from analog outputs....not anything remotely close to a backup.
    :nono2:

14. macfan601

macfan601 New Member

May 3, 2012
    Oh I agree and that is why Directv is in the wrong here and should allow us to move the external hard drives. Until they put customers before profit I will use my DVD burner to do that. I guess I could use a second HR34 to do that as well, but oh wait, they have that screwed up from working right too.

I am going to state once again, I think Directv is currently the best TV service out there but I detest their business plan/model.

15. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    To me, media server would indicate that it serves media (shows) to multiple destinations - nothing about long term storage.

16. macfan601

macfan601 New Member

May 3, 2012

LOL, just how could it serve media to multiple destinations without long term storage? DOH!!!! Using your definition Directv would have to take the hard drive out and instantly stream everything.

From the dictionary: By definition a media server is a device that simply stores and shares media

17. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    But long-term does not enter into that definition. None of us disagree with you about what a media server does. But I don't believe many of us agree with you about a media server being considered long-term storage. Again, long-term storage can only be achieved with a backup strategy, not an analog copy strategy. Maybe Directv at one time referred to it as a media server, I have always thought of it as nothing more than a 5-tuner DVR that could be turned into a whole home DVR with the clients, or just an enhancement to your existing Whole Home setup.

18. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    And does Genie not store and share media?

My Genie serves my media to multiple destinations just fine.

You don't need long term storage to do that. LOL. or is it DOH?

19. macfan601

macfan601 New Member

May 3, 2012
    It is going to be awfully tough to serve media that isn't long term stored. But each to their own. I use my HR34 (I hate the name Genie, sounds Disney like to me) to long term store/archive movies to supply my front projector Home Theater. Others use there DVR to time shift but that is not my thing. I have a hard drive attached to my router for short term storage. Media Share on a Directv box can see the hard drive attached to my router. I think the problem we have here is in definition of terms and in some here thinking their way is the only one way to use Directv equipment. Look at Rich and his multiple DVRs with external hard drives, certainly unusual, but it works for him.

20. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Let's move along....