1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Genie on C31 has been great, would you switch to RVU?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jsclarke, Dec 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. jsclarke

jsclarke Cool Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Hello everyone... I just purchased a 75" Samsung 6300 series LED TV that supports RVU. At that location I currently have a C31, which (knock on wood) has been pretty stable for the last few months. Would you seasoned pros recommend trying the RVU instead of the C31, or just keep what I have.

I know I'd lose the ethernet port- but that "smart TV" isn't that smart from other owners so I could use the bluray player or AppleTV for Vudu etc. I've already got DECCA with is serving up internet. Anyway- think it's a good idea to swap that C31 with RVU? Thanks.

2. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    No real advantages to using the TV as a client.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Other than one less box, there really is no benefit. You'd be paying the same. I'd stick with what you have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Why would you lose the ethernet port? the same cable that connects you to "RVU" connects you to the internet.

on your topic, I would keep the C31. RVU TVs must rely on 3rd party for any software updates, with DirecTV you know for sure they will always be updated, more than they need it to...

5. lugnutathome

lugnutathome Hall Of Fame

Apr 13, 2009
    Woodburn, OR
    Well technically the C31 is RVU too. But as has been pointed out, co-ordination between the Alliance partners with regard to DirectTV's firmware changes on the Genie may have some periods of lag. As of the latest firmware releases, the C31 has been rock solid.

If it were me, I would let the Genie and the external vendor RVU Alliance pairings mature before I would feel comfortable relying a non DirectTV client.

Don "hey wait a minute that is me" Bolton

6. slapshot54

slapshot54 Cool Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Don't do it. Samsung RVU is a disaster. The DVR functions are a complete joke, and if you use any trick play functions you are out of luck. I'd stick with what you have if it's working well.

1 person likes this.
  7. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    You can switch to RVU - it will de-authorize your C31 - the code for the remote RC71 is 54000. Maybe their client has improved?

Post your results here.

And then you can switch back to your C31 with no problem. . . other than resetting the remote.