1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Genie on non-SWN setup?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by norwestie, Dec 28, 2012.

1. norwestie

norwestie New Member

Dec 28, 2012
    West Linn, OR
    I currently have 2 HD DVRs and 2 HD receivers (sorry, I don't have the model numbers) connected to a Slimline dish with 4 cables running into the house. Each of the DVRs has 2 coax cables connected. Occasionally, we take the 2 receivers camping in our motorhome. We have a Winegard Trav'ler on the RV and I understand they don't play well with SWM receivers.
    What I would like to do is get a Genie to replace one DVR and keep the rest of the hardware the same. Can a SWM (Genie) and non-SWM receiver coexist on the same network?

2. FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver All Star/Supporter

Dec 3, 2002
    On the road...
    It's not hard to convert a Trav'ler setup to SWM. Winegard actually makes a kit for it. You mount the SWM-8 on the roof near the Trav'ler, run 4 short coax lines between them, then connect the lines going into the RV to the SWM.

Am I correct that you don't use the (non-DVR) receivers at home? Just the DVRs. That's the only way you could do it without SWM or a multi-switch. But you do use the receivers in the RV?

I think all the HD receivers will work with SWM. Only the newest ones (HR34, H25) require SWM.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    No DIRECTV satellite receiver outside of the Genie requires SWiM to tune satellite channels.

It is possible (though bothersome) to switch back and forth between SWiM and Legacy.

The takeaway is that as long as you don't plan on doing WHDS or using the Genie in the RV, you're not up against a wall.

4. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Wrong! The H25 requires SWiM. Maybe you should leave the postings in the DirecTV area to DirecTV subscribers. :)

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Basset Barf
    The H25 is SWiM only.

6. norwestie

norwestie New Member

Dec 28, 2012
    West Linn, OR
    A little more info may help. I do use the Whole House to watch what is on one DVR on the receiver in the theater. All 4 boxes are in use and e-net networked. What does DTV charge for the Genie client boxes?

7. FlyingDiver

Dec 3, 2002
    On the road...
    I'm confused. Do you have a multi-switch in your setup? If you've got 2 tuners at each DVR plus the two receivers, you must have one somewhere.

Up front cost for the C31 client is officially $99, but you can often get a package deal. It's $6/mo, same as any other receiver.

8. norwestie

norwestie New Member

Dec 28, 2012
    West Linn, OR
    All the equipment was installed about eight or nine years ago, I think before SWM. There is a multiswitch installed but I'm not home now so I can't tell what kind.
    In answer to an earlier question, we would use the receivers in the RV, never the Genie.

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    While it was before the SWiM came out, this:
    wasn't that long ago. Closer to maybe 5 years.

Moving to a Genie will require an upgrade to SWiM, and there just isn't an easy way to mix SWiM and non SWiM.

It might be easiest to move both the house and the RV to SWiM.

If this isn't what you want, then your current multi-switch would need to be changed to a SWiM-16, and have your two HD receivers connected to the legacy ports. This would let them move to the RV without problems.
    Receivers seems to have a hard time changing back from SWiM to legacy.

10. samrs

samrs MANC DBSTalk Club

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    Winegard Trav'ler

HD or SD?

11. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    My bad. Those intending to use their receivers in a portable application should probably avoid the H25 for this and other reasons.

12. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Why? SWiM is just as, if not more, portable than old multiswitches.

13. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I disagree with this as the power inserter can be a pain in the behind sometimes.

14. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    How? All you have to do is hook it up to the power passing leg of your splitter and plug it into an outlet. And that's only if you have newer one that doesn't have an input and output RG6.

15. FlyingDiver

Dec 3, 2002
    On the road...
    It's an SL-5 dish.

16. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Any device that requires a PI is a PITA; be that a SWiM dish or outboard switch.

17. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    Maybe to you but not to me. A PI is pretty straightforward and very easy to setup.

18. FlyingDiver

Dec 3, 2002
    On the road...
    I've never found installing a PI to be that big a deal. My only objection to them is that they're designed very poorly, and generate a lot of heat that can be problematical in enclosed cabinets. There's no reason at all they should be generating that much heat, except that a better design would cost more for the components.

For that matter, the DECA units also generate more heat than I think they need to. Obviously this is not a concern to DirecTV.

19. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I've only known one to catch fire :)

20. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 28, 2004
    Correct.

Have been running more than one literally for years...never had a single issue.