1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie or just Whole Home? HR44 with Whole Home?P

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by PSS, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Jul 5, 2013 #1 of 21
    PSS

PSS New Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I'm ready to call the Retention dept and "haggle" for an upgrade but unsure to go with the Genie or not. I don't like the idea of an additional $25.00/ month for it mainly, though I think they charge $3,00/ month for "Whole Home DVR". Does anyone know if that's PER DVR?. Hopefully the info here can help me decide which way to go.
    I currently have 1- HR-220 100 DVR , 1- H20 HD receiver, 4 wire lnb dish
    I want to upgrade to Whole Home DVR or Genie. It depends on feedback I get here..............................................
    I want to end up with the ability to have:
    4 TV locations with ability to view either "Genie" or either of two DVR's (if Whole Home system is used). My thought i would be to get two dvr's and two H25 or H24's. Is there a difference in these two units for this installation?
    Now the big question. what is the chance I'd get an HR44 for a Whole Home install vs a Genie?
    I hope you all can help guide me as to which way is the best to go. I'm ready to call Retention dept. asap but want to be sure I'm getting the latest without overpaying for my needs,
    PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF ANYMORE INFO IS NEEDED!!!

2. Jul 5, 2013 #2 of 21
    longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    First off HR44 is a Genie just like a HR34. Which you get depends on inventory in your location. There is no additional cost for a Genie, You already have HD and DVR so the whole Home would be the only added cost. DVR is per account not per DVR

3. Jul 5, 2013 #3 of 21
    PSS

PSS New Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Ok. I understand that the HR34 and 44 are both "Genies", but can a HR44 be used in a standard Whole Home DVR service (non Genie)?
    I'm reading that there is a $25.00/ month "Advanced Receiver Service" fee that goes along with a Genie "installation". Is this not true? So from what "Hall Of Famer" is saying I should only be charged a $3.00/ month Whole Home DVR fee that covers the "whole" system on top of the regular DVR fee?

4. Jul 5, 2013 #4 of 21
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You have two boxes right now. If you want to be able to watch four TVs, you need to add two devices.

As longrider said, Genie doesn't cost 25 per month.
    The Genie will cost you $6 per month and MRV will be $3 per month.
    How many people in your house and viewing habits should determine whether you add more DVRs, receivers or the mini-client.
    Each add-on will cost $6 per month.

After you figure out what you need, call DirecTV (and FWIW, all my best upgrades were done without talking to retention). Tell them what your end state should be and see what they offer.

5. Jul 5, 2013 #5 of 21
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The Advanced Receiver $25 is for those new customers after Feb. it includes your DVR fee, HD fee and $3 MRV fee. You are already paying the first two, so you'll have to add MRV.

Each box costs $6 per month with a $6 credit back for the first one.

Four boxes will appear as four $6 receiver fee lines on your bill with a -$6 credit.

6. Jul 5, 2013 #6 of 21
    goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    If you're adding 2 rooms, you'll see an increase of $12 and $3 for whole home, as previously mentions. The H20 will automatically be updated to a newer hd receiver, no guaranteed model. If you can get the Genie for free, you would most likely pay extra if you want another hd receiver installed, but may be able to get a client/mini free with the genie.

7. Jul 5, 2013 #7 of 21
    longrider

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Everything has been well covered but I just want to make clear that there is no difference in monthly cost between a Genie and a regular DVR.

8. Jul 6, 2013 #8 of 21
    kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    Since the monthly cost has already been covered by the forum veterans above, let's get to the equipment..you WANT a Genie + 3 Genie Minis (aka Genie Clients, since the Genie is often called a Genie Server). That will provide you with 4 receivers for 4 tvs. Install will be SWiM8, with a single coax (RG6) for cabling.

Additionally, it will provide you with 5 tuners (all 5 are inside the Genie---which can be either model #HR34 or HR44--there is no way to select a model). Genie Minis are remote units (or slaves) to the Genie, with nearly all its functionality. That means up to 5 recordings at once.

Keep in mind, if all 4 tvs are watching live TV or recordings, that leaves 1 tuner unused and available for recording. I've heard great things about the HR44, but it's in limited release..so check the DBStalk forums for areas which have been verified for install.

Odds are you will be signed up to a new 24month agreement, especially if you qualify for FREE upgrades. The upgrades depend on your account history. Some people get it free, some don't. If not, don't hesitate to defer. Later, call back to see if you reach a more qualified or more novice agent--who will get you what you need. No guarantees, so best to go with the deal you like and run with it.

Maximum out of pocket equipment cost is as follows:
    Genie (HR34/HR44): $299 x 1 = $299
    Genie Mini (C31/C41): $99 x 3 = $297
    Total = $596 + tax + $19.95 delivery/handling (ask if this item can be waived)

Count on some kind of install upgrade as well, possibly $49 to $99. If you budget properly, a sweet deal awaits you--with many happy years of the highest quality equipment and programming.

Good luck!

-=K=-

9. Jul 6, 2013 #9 of 21
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The TS could order from a third-party retailer and select a specific model.

10. PSS

PSS New Member

Jul 5, 2013
    Los Angeles

11. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    you are right on both fronts

12. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Couple other things: with the H25 you cannot manage the To Do List or Series manager. That said, it's a slick unit, perfect where you want silence and a small footprint (as are the clients).

13. Ditty

Ditty New Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Illinois
    I have directv with premier package
    1 hr24-500 dvr hd receiver
    2 hr21-100 dvr hd receivers
    3 h21-100 hd receivers

No internet connected yet but have wireless in the house
    I would like capability for ipad and phone
    Movies on command
    Whole home? Or genie?
    Would these models work for this?
    I should be eligible for upgrade
    Any ideas what would be the way to go?

14. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Your receivers now add up to 9-tuners. Swapping out one of your HR21 for a Genie will give you 12. Genie is SWiM only. With a Genie, they would install Whole Home. The Genie should be place close to your router for a hardwire connection to your home LAN and Internet access. Only the Genie can act like a LAN bridge.

15. Ditty

Ditty New Member

Sep 21, 2013
    Illinois
    Since my internet is broadband through a cable provider will all data from movies etc come through directv signals or the cable?

16. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    The info that you can read about each show or movie comes from satellite. If you download a pay per view or VOD show, it comes via your internet connection.

17. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Though don't expect the DIRECTV installer to do this even if the Genie is placed near the router, as they'll only connect to the home router via a separate CCK. And then only if you have B.B. internet service at the time of the installation (that is, if you're considered "Broad Band Eligible").

You're going to have to remove the CCK (if you want to) and run a straight ethernet patch from the Genie to the router yourself.

18. HerntDawg

HerntDawg Legend

Oct 6, 2008
    Oregon
    So they have to hook up a DECA as a "CCK" instead of just using an ethernet cord straight to the genie?

19. longrider

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Yes they do and the reason really is logical. Remember 99.9% of DirecTV customers have no idea how the system works, they just look at the connections. There is a Genie in room A and a HR24 in room B. The customer decides to switch them, with a CCK everything still works. The customer has no idea only a Genie can act as a bridge so with no CCK he plugs the cable into the HR24. Now the HR24 may have internet if it recognizes the change and nothing else has a connection. Customer calls and a service call is generated.

20. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I would replace one of the H21's with the Genie. I wouldn't give up a DVR, that's already on my account if I can give up a regular receiver instead. IMO, you can never have too many recordable tuners.