1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Genie or Not to Genie

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by charbear, Jun 26, 2014.

1. charbear

charbear New Member

Apr 29, 2006
    I'm sure people have asked 100 times and I've seen a few of the posts (browsed an hour before I posted this) but I have not seen anything real recent. I have two properly functioning HR24's, both hard wired with one connected to a LAN. Only diff is one is slower than the other on menu changes and fast forwards (though both have the same firmware and remote)/ It's time to reup my annual DTV deal and I'm considering moving to one Genie and one mini. Our only issue with the current setup is that we record a lot and often have two shows recording at once on one of the HR24's.

With a Genie and a mini...will we be able to only record 3 shows at once if we are watching live TV on two TV's or what's the scoop?

Would also appreciate any comments on Genie performance vs the HR24's. Seems like a lot of bitching lately.

Thank you!!!

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The Genie has 5 tuners that can be used to watch record lice TV. the mini uses one of those 5 tuners to watch live TV as well. so with both TVs on you will be able to record 3 more shows at the same time. However, I will recommend to keep one of your HR24s instead of getting a mini.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    I would keep the faster HR24 instead of getting the mini if I were you. If the Genie goes out, so does the mini (mini takes a tuner from the Genie). Plus you'll have 7 tuners and more storage. There's no monthly cost difference, either.

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    +1

5. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Mini does not mean cheaper. Keep your best HR24.

6. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    I was offered a free Genie but I like not being under contract if that is important to you HR24s work quite well.

1 person likes this.
  7. quack05

quack05 Cool Member

Nov 26, 2008
    I have a Genie I use as my main, I also have 2 other dvr's which gives me 9 channels to record if i need to. Keep one of your HR24's and get a Genie you will not be sorry. They have more storage .

8. StangGT909

StangGT909 Legend

Mar 9, 2007
    If you keep a HR24 with a genie and hit the record button, does the recording go on the HR24 or genie?

If it records on the HR24 as I would guess, will the listings for the recordings all be merged together seamlessly and show up in the playlist on the genie on the main TV?

9. linuspbmo

linuspbmo AllStar

Oct 2, 2009
    If you hit record from the HR-24 the recording will go to the HR-24, all of the programs will show up on all playlists. I have a HR-44, a HR-24 and 3 H-25's and the genie is much faster than my HR-24 so go with the genie and keep the HR-24

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    recordings are made on which ever DVR you press the record key on. And with whole home DVR you will see one unified playlist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Bronxiniowa

Bronxiniowa New Member

Apr 14, 2013
    Iowa
    I have two HR-21s and one HR-22. Could I upgrade to the configuration y'all seem to be enamored with? Would I be able to get the desired equipment, or whatever's on the truck?

12. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    sure get a Genie to replace your slowest DVR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. StangGT909

StangGT909 Legend

Mar 9, 2007
    Which one has overall faster menu and scrolling response time? HR24 or mini client?

I hear ya on wanting to keep the HR24 over a mini client for obvious reasons, but my HR24 is over 3 years old, even though it's not a fancy box, I'd wonder if the mini would have better speed due to it not being such a a date device.

14. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The mini and the HR24 are about the same speed wise. I would even say that the HR24 might be a tad faster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Do you ever miss any shows with your current setup? If not get the genie and mini, it will allow you even more options than your current setup.

As of right now you can only record two stations if you are watching two live, so you'd be able to record one additional channel than you have now if you are watching live TV on both tvs.

Although unless its a big sports event you just have to watch live, I suggest recording everything you watch and watch everything from your playlist.its easier.

Also you'll have one guide, so you always see what is set to record, no running from one unit to the other to see if you set something up to record. There's more reasons, but that's a few big ones.