1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by willis134, Aug 1, 2013.

Tags:
  1. willis134

willis134 AllStar

Jul 25, 2007
    Iowa
    I currently have 2 HR20's and 2 HR21's. I had to call D* today and the CSR I talked to was a very nice lady, and seemed to be very knowledgeable. She said beacuse of having the protection plan I am eligible for a free upgrade to a Genie. So I was thinking I would replace the 2 HR20's with the Genie. Thus increasing my number of tuners from 8 to 9 with one less receiver on my account. But, she said if the HR21's are either watching live TV or recording a show they would be occupying one of the tuners on the Genie as well. meaning then the Genie could only record 3 shows at the same time or record 2 shows while also watching live TV. Is That right? That doesnt make any sense to me.

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    No that's not right. She is confusing how a genie mini client would work with it. An hr will never use any tuners from a genie for anything.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    No, it's more complicated than that. Ideally you should request a dish upgrade to a SWM16 setup to properly handle all 9 tuners. Otherwise you must permanently disable one of the tuners in one of your HR21's to meet the 8-tuner requirement of your current setup. You can do that by repeating the Satellite Setup process and specifying that only one tuner should be active. But DirecTV should upgrade your dish if you add a Genie to your account.

4. willis134

willis134 AllStar

Jul 25, 2007
    Iowa
    Yeah I knew I would need a dish upgrade. I was just wondering if she was right about the tuners. Because that didnt seem right to me. Thanks for the info Guys! I think I will Go ahead and order the Genie.

5. willis134

willis134 AllStar

Jul 25, 2007
    Iowa
    One other question about the Genie: With the DECA built into it, what would I need for the HR21's to go that route as opposed to my current ethernet cable set up?

6. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Directv will put in an external DECA on the 21 along with a CCK to your router - or possibly Ethernet or wifi to the 44 - if it's a 44 instead of a cck.

1 person likes this.
  7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    No, it's more complicated than that. Ideally you should request a dish upgrade to a SWM16 setup to properly handle all 9 tuners. Otherwise you must permanently disable one of the tuners in one of your HR21's to meet the 8-tuner requirement of your current setup. You can do that by repeating the Satellite Setup process and specifying that only one tuner should be active. But DirecTV should upgrade your dish if you add a Genie to your account.

The order system should automatically generate an order for the SWM16 as they will be over 8 tuners with all the receivers on the account.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

1 person likes this.
  8. willis134

willis134 AllStar

Jul 25, 2007
    Iowa

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The order system should automatically generate an order for the SWM16 as they will be over 8 tuners with all the receivers on the account.

- Merg

Update: I did go ahead and order the Genie. You are correct. The CSR said that I would need an update to the SWiM 16. And the technician would do that at the time of install. Thanks for all the info guys!

No prob.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app