1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Genie Question.....

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JohnBoy, Aug 24, 2013.

1. JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    I would like to know if the Genie uses a 6th or 7th hidden tuner to record Directv Cinema and Genie Recommends content,or does she just uses one of our 5 tuners that are not in use?

Also the Genie gives us 1tb for our recordings,so how big of a hard drive does Directv have in hidding to use for their content?

I was just curious as I plan to record about 3 things at a time when the fall season starts and the other two tuners will be in use for live tv and I just wondered how Genie is going to recommend Prime Time shows if all tuners are being used up....Thanks.

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Your recording and viewing should have priority over any background recording that is done. When you are not using all tuners, the Genie will use them if/as needed.

3. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    If you're talking about DIRECTV Cinema recordings that are pushed to your Genie then yes that does use a tuner, and Genie recommends recordings also will use a tuner, but as mention if there is anything that you've scheduled to record or watching live TV those requests override those recordings. Aka, those recordings only happen when the tuner(s) are idle.

If you were talkinga about DIRECTV Cinema recordings that you request, and you have an internet connection to Genie, then those are download via the internet and do not take up a tuner.

4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    In order of your questions;

1) It uses one or more of the Genie's five tuners when available. VOD over the internet do not require a tuner of course.

2) Around 100 GB is reserved for DIRECTV's exclusive use, therefore actually giving you (1 TB/1.1 x 1024) -100 GB = approx. 830 GB of user recording space.

3) What Carl and Rad said already earlier.

5. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    It's five an no more. Whatever the Genie does, it is done with just those five.

6. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    It's five an no more. Whatever the Genie does, it is done with just those five.

Actually to be technical the genie has six tuners. One however is dedicated to only guide data and does nothing but pull guide data.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
  8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Actually, that kerfluffle was about a fellow who thought a software update bumped him from 2% free to 0% free and was upset because he couldn't record new stuff. First it was never proven that a bunch of recordings had taken place overnight to fill up his pathetically small free space, and second, it was one lament that went on, and on, and on, and.....