1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie Questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by axl, Feb 18, 2013.

1. axl

axl AllStar

Sep 12, 2007
    I spoke to DirecTV the other day and they offered me a free upgrade to the new Genie system and said if I added whole home DVR this would only cost me $3 more a month. What I am curious on is this. Is there any possible way to put a genie client in a room that doesn't have TV right now? I absolutely hate the way the installers run cables through the side of a house instead of dropping it down from the attic and in to the wall. I would be on top of this and add the box to the other room if there was a way I could get them to install the new line without drilling through the side of the house or if there was a way to get it working without having a coax line in that room. Is it possible?

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Doubt it.

Installers need to connect it to a display to verify it's working correctly or else they might not get paid for the job - and yes, it needs a coax line.

3. axl

axl AllStar

Sep 12, 2007
    Guess I'll have to install the line myself since the installers as Mastek are horrible.

4. macfan601

macfan601 New Member

May 3, 2012

LOL, you beat me to it but I was going to suggest doing it yourself if you want it done right. I know there are a few diehards on here that hate it when a customer does a quality, neat install but I have found it the only way to have it done right when dealing with Directv subcontractors. I will cut them a little slack in that I know they are paid to get in and out quickly and use the least materials. There is still such a thing though as pride in one's work. I can't wait for the day and pray for that day that Directv does away with subcontractors. It would be worth it to me even if it made my bill go up.

5. axl

axl AllStar

Sep 12, 2007
    Yeah I hear ya there. I won't even come close to letting them drill a hole through the side of my house because they won't do something the right way. Half the time they don't show up in the time frame or don't have the equipment with them to do the job right.

6. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I let DirecTV touch the dish on the roof, everything else is neatly run myself. One coax (sometimes two) in each room, neatly installed in wall jacks. It took several weeks to run it, many years ago, but it was well worth it. Ran quad shield coax and Cat 5e Ethernet everywhere, all home run to wiring closet.

7. vapor21

vapor21 Cool Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Don't hold your breath on this, by law Directv is forced to have contractors. That is what I was told by a site manager.

8. Combat Medic

Combat Medic Legend

Jul 27, 2007
    I've never had DirecTV complain when they show up and I point out where the home run coax comes out for them to hook up to.

9. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Any tips on running Cat5? I've never done it, and I need to go through attic. Would there be any problem "sistering" it with a DIRECTV coax down one wall? Should I put in a wall outlet similar to a phone outlet or run the male connector out to the router?

10. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Not true. It may have been all contractors at one point in time, but D* has purchased a good amount of those HSP install companies to make them O&O (Owned & Operated).

11. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    I put a Leviton Quickport patch panel in the basement, ran Cat 5e from the basement to each room, and used Leviton Quickport connectors and wall plates in each room, with short Ethernet cables from the patch panel to the Gigabit Switch, with the Switch connected to the Gigabit Router.

Fairly easy to do, just takes some time, did it one summer about 10 years ago.

Not needed as much now due to DECA, but it is handy to have wired Ethernet in every room.

12. vapor21

vapor21 Cool Member

Sep 1, 2012
    This is true but what I was referring to was that there will always be contractors. Have you seen the job that the Walmart, Costco and best buy contractors do?

13. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    WOW! the things you hear from some of these "managers". :hurah:

14. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    If you are talking about DTV contractors from BestBuy, Costco, etc... Usually Smart Circle then yes I have. Here are some pics from my buddies and his parents install they ordered from Best Buy. What do you think?

15. vapor21

vapor21 Cool Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Most of the jobs that they do are to that quality or worse. Not saying all contractors are bad but it gets old going back behind them and bringing it up to code.

16. boukengreen

boukengreen Legend

Sep 22, 2009
    yep our local group was a HSP then a couple months later when they was out they was O&O

17. macfan601

macfan601 New Member

May 3, 2012
    Now you know why I agree with Sixto's theory of self install except for the dish. LOL, nice work, smirk, by the Worst Buy subcontractors.

To the poster asking about running Cat5, you might want to get a copy of the Sunset book, Home Networking. It is out of print but you can still get it on eBay for a few dollars. It explains how to set up, run, and connect phone wiring, coax, and Cat5 along with the tools and parts you will need. I highly recommend it.

18. Phil17108

Phil17108 Mentor

Apr 10, 2010
    Orange...
    We put a new roof on the house last year and I used that time to pull new coax through the place clean out 40 years worth of old and finish up switch over to SWM. I am with the DIY guys, and no outside penetrations other then from the dish into the attic. I can't see where the Genie system would make my system better but IF I got it for free I would jump right on. Does the client?? have component outs along with HDMI and in So.Cal the installers are DirecTV now.

19. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Thanks. My phone and coax are all set, and I need to run just one wire from A to B, so it's not a lot to do.

Elsewhere, I believe, I asked if I could draw ethernet from my HR34, and was told yes, but I shouldn't. Wonder why he considered it not O.K.?

20. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Yes and no. It does not have component or composite connectors on the box itself, but there is an optional (extra cost) adapter cable that can provide those outputs.