1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Genie Reboot after power loss ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by JohnBoy, Oct 15, 2013.

1. JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    Today I had a quick power outage (2sec.) and the Genie rebooted itself.So after it rebooted itself I did a menu reset like many here do after a firmware update just to make sure of no currupt files.

Now after I did all this another quick power outage happened again about a half hour later and so I repeated the process,I guess the power company was monkeying around in my area as this was around 10am.

My cover art has seemed to disappear as well as it has been a few hours,anyone know how long it will take to reappear?

Well anyway, I just wanted to know what many here do when they get an uprupt loss of power.Do you do a menu reset or leave well enough alone?

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Since there were two reboots within 30 minutes, the guide data was cleared, it can take up to 48 hours. I probably would just leave it alone in that situation, but I've got mine on a UPS to avoid those blips.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    the guide data was flushed due to the resets. it takes approx 24 hours.

better get a UPS or expect to replace the DVR very often if you get brown outs like this often

4. JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    These brownouts seldom happen , it was just a weird day.

Thanks.

5. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    it only takes one to destroy the hard drive inside the DVR....

6. JohnBoy

JohnBoy New Member

Sep 8, 2011
    I had ran a test afterward and it said everything was fine.

So I had two quick power outage reboots followed by two menu reboots today a total of 4.I guess my Genie got a bit of a work out today.

7. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I didn't mean that literally. lol