1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Genie Receiver: How does it work?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ford_8, Feb 17, 2013.

1. ford_8

ford_8 New Member

Feb 17, 2013
    I know a lot of threads about the new "genie receiver". But i just wanna know the basics of it. ;)

1. How does it work?
    2. How will i get it? (requirements)
    3. Price (i don't have a SWM installed)
    4. What will happen to my current receivers?
    5. To anyone who already got it. Is is worth it?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
  3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    1. see above post
    2. Call
    3. Call
    4. Whatever you want
    5. Yes.

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    1. Very well. It can record up to 5 shows simultaneously, or watch 1 record 4, or if used with clients, watch as many as 4 (1 on the Genie and up to 3 on clients at any given time) and still record 1 show all at the same time. The first look document Litzdog911 linked to has all the other information you might want.
    2 and 3. As suggested, you really need to call and discuss this with DirecTV. A lot depends on your account history. It can vary from nothing up to several hundred dollars.
    4. You can keep them all, deactivate one or more when you get the Genie, or drop them all. Whatever you want. If any of your receivers are SD as opposed to HD (or your whole account is SD), that may be a factor in your cost. Again, you really need to call DirecTV.
    5. Well, that is partly up to what you currently have and what you want/need. If you are running into limits on being able to record 3 or more things at once, or storage space on your current DVR, or how many series links you can set up, - all of that is better with the Genie. But if everything you have is working good and you don't really need more, then it may or may not be "worth it" depending on what type of offer you can get.

5. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    1. Just like any HR2x with the addition RVU
    2. Order it from DirecTV
    3. Depends on your bargaining ability with DirecTV (Anywhere between $50 to $400 would be my estimate.)
    4. You keep the SWiM compatible ones in your Whole Home setup. Non-SWiM will either be replace or remove.
    5. For me, yes. Can't wait until there's enough, so customers can have two.