1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie Recommend - ON or OFF

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Drucifer, Oct 17, 2012.

Is your Genie Recommend ON or OFF?

1. ON

4.2%
  2. OFF

95.8%
  1. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Genie Recommend is about three weeks old now. Which should be enough time to judge if you're going to keep it ON or OFF.

So my question is - Is your Genie Recommend ON or OFF?

2. augisdad

augisdad AllStar

Sep 29, 2011
    KC area
    In fact, never turned it on. I have enough shows to watch/record as it is.

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I like Genie Recommends, and will turn it back on once the conflicts in recording priorities has been solved, and when it doesn't cause false "already recording" notices to be generated. It should never retain priority over anything the user has commanded.

And if turned off, there's no need to delete everything already put down on the HD; not unless we can get the space back.

4. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    I will give it a try sometime but my experience with the TiVo version was poor. More accurately, it was plain annoying. Off for now.

5. Nuttz565

Nuttz565 New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    I like the idea of the Genie feature. The issue I was having though with it was that every time I tried to set a recording from the Directv app on my phone it would tell me it was successful but when I got home it would show that it failed to record. Once I turned Genie off I had no issues scheduling recordings. If they fix this issue I may turn it back on.

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    On, and it works great for me. It's there when I want it, ignorable when I don't.

7. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Welcome to DBSTalk, Mr. Nuttz!

It was worse for me than not taking in requests from iPhone or iPad apps; it'd screw up requests from a networked H25!

8. azarby

azarby Hall Of Fame

Dec 15, 2006
    Too many bugs and tuner conflicts. Once those are resolved, i'll turn it back on.

9. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    My GENIE is off.

10. keebler21

keebler21 Mentor

Oct 22, 2011
    Minnesota
    I completely agree - haven't used it yet but going to be nice some Saturday when I'm all caught up on my DVR'ed shows and nothing else to watch. What's the big deal if it is on and you never use it, not like you would notice.

11. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    For some of us, it's quite noticeable! It seemingly has caused remote recording requests, and requests from H25s, to not go through. That's the only reason I turned it off temporarily.

12. dsw2112

dsw2112 Always Searching

Jun 12, 2009
    True if the bugs were worked out. Right now turning Genie "on" causes issues you would notice.

I've tried it, and can't say it's recorded anything we'd be interested in. Combine that with the "bugs" and its "off"

13. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    I have it turned ON

14. keebler21

keebler21 Mentor

Oct 22, 2011
    Minnesota

Ah - sorry guys - completely makes sense. So when you turn genie off I take it those issues go away? Overall I haven't seen any issues having it on. I have had some random issues with my new C31 clients, like formatting issues or being slow at times, but otherwise nothing that would lead me to believe it was because of genie.

15. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    In a word, yes! I don't have a C31 in the mix, fwiw.

16. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I never turned Genie on, since I know what I want to watch or record. I wouldn't even pay attention to any recommendations if it was on. Just glad they have the On/Off feature for this, so I don't have annoying pop-ups.

17. Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    On here. I find it very useful and the more I use it the better the results are. Also there are no annoying pop-ups. All of the suggestions are found by hitting menu and there they are.

18. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Have you ever had a recording conflict, such as you wanting to record something but the tuner was being used by Genie? Just curious...
    I don't want this thread to go off topic, but it seems you use and like it, and now have some history on how it is working over a longer term.

Thanks...

19. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    Mine is turned on to see what it is all about. I don't even see where to turn it off, so... :)

20. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    You can turn it off in the same spot where you turned it on. It's a toggle.

Genie Recommends is pretty much dead to me... It breaks too many other things to be worth it.