DBSTalk Forum banner

Genie Recommends Shows...

3K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  JohnBoy 
#1 ·
I have had my Genie HR-44 for over 3 weeks and I have been observing the type of shows that Genie recommends (I have it enabled) and I have yet to see a primetime network show being recommended to me yet.

Shows like Under the Dome,Big Bang Theory,Modern Family etc....your typical primetime shows from the big networks.

I watch alot of the primetime shows like AGT,SYTYCD,2 Broke Girls and various others,but all genie wants to recommend to me is shows like Honey Boo Boo,Brett Michaels new show,Bravo,TLC,ABCfamily,Mtv and other shows from tvland that are not even in my package.

Is there a way I can train my Genie to record more of the primetime network shows on abc,cbs,fox,nbc especially with the fall season up ahead?

I won't be able to record every primetime show when the season starts in the fall and having genie recommend shows that you might have missed could be an added blessing.There could be a hidden diamond in the rough.

But Frankly ,I would just love for Directv to have a Primetime section in Genie Recommends TV show area to counter Dish's Primetime anytime.

See less See more
#2 ·
Having hard time visualizing how GR will help you other than to point the fact that you missed an episode :confused:

#3 ·
I actually never even considered it recommending things not in your package. If I remember right, you're on Total Choice. Maybe it's their not so subtle attempt to get you to switch to a different package. Of course since CIG has never worked probably, that's the more likely explanation.

#4 ·
I actually never even considered it recommending things not in your package. If I remember right, you're on Total Choice. Maybe it's their not so subtle attempt to get you to switch to a different package. Of course since CIG has never worked probably, that's the more likely explanation.
I have Mas Ultra and Genie recommended a few shows from TvLand and OWN.Two channels that are not in my package line up,it also does not let you view the shows from those said channels as it puts up a gray screen with the 30 min scrub bar at the bottom.

I just want to find a way to trick/force Genie to recommend more shows from the Primetime networks.

#5 ·
peds48 said:
Having hard time visualizing how GR will help you other than to point the fact that you missed an episode :confused:
It's actually come in handy for me a few times. My HR34 was recording "Primeval: New World" as a Genie Recommendation before I decided I wanted to check it out. By the time I wanted to check it out 3 or 4 episodes had aired and SyFy on demand content is SD only so that wouldn't fly for me. I checked Genie Recommends on my HR34 and low and behold all the episodes were there in HD. It's also helped me out when I accidentally deleted an episode of another show from my HR24, it was sitting in Genie Recommends on my HR44.

#6 ·
Genie Recommends is nothing different than What's On or You Might Like :)

#7 ·
I definitely get network prime-time shows recommended to me.

I think a big part of the reason you haven't seen any of them recommended is that, since you've only had your Genie for 3 weeks and it's summer, you probably haven't recorded many network prime-time shows yet.

#9 ·
Im simply observing on just Recommendations alone.

#10 ·
I definitely get network prime-time shows recommended to me.

I think a big part of the reason you haven't seen any of them recommended is that, since you've only had your Genie for 3 weeks and it's summer, you probably haven't recorded many network prime-time shows yet.
I have series recording's for AGT,SYTYCD,Dateline and I watch a few reruns of the cbs and abc comedies that have been playing lately as fillers before the start of the season.

So Genie should know that I like watching primetime shows according to my recordings and viewing habits.

Also out of 62 shows that are recorded (green play now) and recommended by Genie, not a one is from a Prime Time Network.

I emailed D* to consider making a Genie Recommends Prime Time Shows section in the TV Shows area where Genie is parked.

It doesn't have to be a carbon copy of Dish's Primetime Anytime.Just have Genie record in hiding like she does and have a bunch of primetime shows allocated to this section.

There are alot of new shows coming up and it will be kind of hard trying to keep up with all of them,so this is where Genie will be of help to let us sample them.

Directv could even record off of their primetime west feeds to service this section if any conflicts

#12 ·
JohnBoy said:
There are alot of new shows coming up and it will be kind of hard trying to keep up with all of them,so this is where Genie will be of help to let us sample them.
Try thefutoncritic.com. They have a full rundown of all the new shows including a synopsis, cast and trailers. I've known what new shows I'll be watching for months now based on their information and I already have Series Links setup for them all.

#13 ·
This is how I would like the Genie section (Tv Shows ) with Prime Time incorporated with recorded shows (Green Button Watch Now).

TV Shows

Whats On Now ?
Prime Time Now ? (A majority of Top Prime Time Shows that are recorded with watch now option)
Featured
Most popular
Kids
Spanish
By Interest
By Show Type
Genie Settings

#15 ·
But clearly something is not working right for the OP if nothing being recommended is from Prime Time. Perhaps turning it off for a day and then back on again will help? Or maybe doing a guide flush?

#16 ·
Supramom2000 said:
But clearly something is not working right for the OP if nothing being recommended is from Prime Time. Perhaps turning it off for a day and then back on again will help? Or maybe doing a guide flush?
I was hoping someone knew a trick to teach Genie to favor certain shows or networks.

Like the 30Slip,30Skip trick you enter it in the search bar to enable it one way or the other,I thought there might be a method similar to that with Genie Recommends.

PS....Whats a Guide Flush?

#17 ·
A guide flush is when you do a menu reset or RBR 2 times in 30 minutes. I usually do the soft reset through the menu and do the second one as soon as live TV returns from the first reset. It helps clear out bad guide data or other errors. I have no idea if it would help with Genie Recommends, but it is worth a try.

#18 ·
Supramom2000 said:
A guide flush is when you do a menu reset or RBR 2 times in 30 minutes. I usually do the soft reset through the menu and do the second one as soon as live TV returns from the first reset. It helps clear out bad guide data or other errors. I have no idea if it would help with Genie Recommends, but it is worth a try.
I will give it a try and turn off Genie recommends as well for a couple of days and then retry GR by recording a bunch of phantom Primetime shows in hopes to retrain her.

Also could you tell me out of the 62 genie recommends (Green Button) recorded shows in your TV Shows section,how many are from the Big four Primetime Networks....Thanks

#19 ·
Supramom2000 said:
The recommendations aren't time slot based. They are based on things already recorded. If I remember correctly the OP has only had his Genie a few days. It takes time for the data to develop.

The guide flush might help, but I doubt it. He'd just be starting over and have to be patient all over again.

#21 ·
acostapimps said:
Genie Recommends is nothing different than What's On or You Might Like :)
Both of which I never watch or like!! The biggest joke is when "what's on" lists the shows you've chosen to record. Or lists shows that are already over.

DirecTV receivers started this nonsense way back when I got an RCA receiver and it had "programming suggestions". It also never came up with anything I liked.

#22 ·
Well, its almost November and I even did a guide flush last week (double reset) to see if Genie Recommends would record shows from any of the big four Prime Time networks and all I keep getting recommended are cable shows.

Is this how directv set this up, are any of you getting shows from the Prime networks being recommended?

#23 ·
JohnBoy said:
Is this how directv set this up, are any of you getting shows from the Prime networks being recommended?
Yes, among the first 8 "Genie Recommends" shows I see right now, I have 4 network prime-time shows, "Scandal," "Grey's Anatomy," "The Crazy Ones," and "The Millers."

#24 ·
trainman said:
Yes, among the first 8 "Genie Recommends" shows I see right now, I have 4 network prime-time shows, "Scandal," "Grey's Anatomy," "The Crazy Ones," and "The Millers."
My Genie must be a Blonde then....hahaha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.