1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Genie recording more episodes than "keep at most"

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by dbronstein, May 1, 2014.

1. May 1, 2014 #1 of 10
    dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    I have an HR 44. It often records more than the "keep at most" amount set in the series settings. Is anyone else having this problem?

2. May 1, 2014 #2 of 10
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    While it may or may not be your issue, if you go into your playlist and mark or unmark shows to keep, I believe they get removed from the number....or if you choose any manual recordings of the same show......I believe that is what I witness on my devices, but I rarely use keep at most, its either all or nothng

3. May 1, 2014 #3 of 10
    peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    how many more is recording?

if you have the default of "keep at most 5" the DVR will record 6. when the sixth episode finish recording it will delete the oldest one.

4. May 1, 2014 #4 of 10
    Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    I you have Whole Home and record on multiple DVR's, while it will appear that there are more than the maximum number of recordings on your playlist, that can be because some are from one DVR and others are from another DVR.

Aldo, if you have multiple series links for a program across multiple channels, it can appear this way too.

5. May 1, 2014 #5 of 10
    mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    If you have series links for the same show but on 2 different channels, wouldn't that put them in 2 separate folders? For example, if I had a link setup to record the new "The Big Bang Theory" episodes on my local CBS channel, and another link setup to record that same show's old, now syndicated episodes on TBS, wouldn't that be 2 separate folders? I've never done anything like that before, so I don't know.

6. May 1, 2014 #6 of 10
    Tisby

Tisby AllStar

Jun 4, 2010
    Nope, they all get tossed into the same folder.

7. May 1, 2014 #7 of 10
    dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    If the limit is 10, it might record 13. There aren't multiple series links on different channels, that was the first thing I checked. I only have one DVR. I don't do manual recordings of the shows. This is not including active recordings in the count.

8. May 1, 2014 #8 of 10
    inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    On the DVR go into the more info of each recording and see if they all say they where recorded by the same series link.

9. May 1, 2014 #9 of 10
    Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Are there any duplicate recordings of the same episode? I've had occasions where a DVR starts a recording that fails for one reason or anohtera and then re-records the same episode at a later time or date. It doesn't delete the original episode when it does this. I wonder if they only condsider this one occurence in the "keep at most count".

10. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Ah yes. That's possible too. Look to see if any show as partials. ;)