1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Genie replacement - 2 questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by MeSue, Apr 7, 2014.

1. MeSue

MeSue Legend

Oct 7, 2007
    FL
    After months of freezing and locking up, my 6 month old hr44 genie booted to an error screen a week ago. Second reboot showed the same thing so DirecTv sent a replacement. Meanwhile the old one started working again (but still freezing a lot) and we were able to watch what we wanted to and make a note of our series recordings, etc. I am packing up the old one tomorrow, but have two questions:

My old genie was an hr44-700 and the new one is hr44-500. Does it matter if I just swap out the box and not the power cord? I'm tempted to keep both to have a backup, but instructions say to include power cord.

Any significant differences in the two models that I should know about?

thanks!

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Those models are functionally identical. Just different manufacturers.

I'll leave it up to you to decide if you want to keep that extra power cord.

3. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Sounds like you want to leave the old power cord in place and send the new cord back with the old box. That would be fine.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    When was the last time anyone had a power cord fail? Pet chewing through one, ok, but what other reasons are there?

5. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Maybe since the HR4X's use an external power supply DIRECTV will not be as foregiving as in the past when it was just a cord if they aren't returned?

6. MeSue

MeSue Legend

Oct 7, 2007
    FL
    Right… it's got a transformer built into the cord, so not just an ordinary cord. I just wonder if the cord could have contributed to the problems with the old box, but seems more likely to have been hard drive issues (the problems worsened as it filled up).

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Keep the power cord if you wish

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

8. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Isnt it a 2 piece unit, power cord and the brick piece?

9. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    nope, just one piece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk