1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie requires professional installation?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by chrisfowler99, May 30, 2013.

1. chrisfowler99

chrisfowler99 Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    I currently have an HR22-100 and two HR20-100 HD DVRs with a SWM 8 setup. Looking to upgrade to a Genie for the living room.

If I only replace an HR20 I figure I have to upgrade to a SWM 16 for 9 tuners and I could see why they'd want to bring in a professional.

But if I get a Genie and one client to replace both HR20s I should be able to stick with the SWM 8.

But no matter what configuration the tech put in it said that the Genie requires professional installation.

I know my brother-in-law installed his own. It looks like several others around here installed their own.

Why is their system blocking me?

2. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    If you order it from a third party vendor like Solid Signal then you can do the install yourself.

3. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    It is probably just as a precaution to ensure if you want to keep all existing tuners that you will be good to go. Not a bad idea in case you ever want to expand you would already be setup. Even if in the end you go with 8 or less tuners it would be great to already be setup for 16 if needed.

4. chrisfowler99

chrisfowler99 Legend

Aug 23, 2006
    Can't get it for $99 from Solid Signal. :(

5. goinsleeper

goinsleeper Godfather

May 22, 2012
    Could also be the SWM you have. Is it built into the LNB or is it separate? If you have a SWM splitter somewhere, check to see if it is a white or green label. Granted all of this would be under whether or not you have MRV(whole home DVR service) on the account or not.

6. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Perhaps because your account is not flagged as a SWM account. Some techs (myself included) have "SWMed" a job that we were not supposed to, because heck it made the job easier.

7. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    And if you have SWM but not DECAs or Band-Stop filters that will also force you to take an installation.