1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Genie setup questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by mill4023, Dec 6, 2012.

1. mill4023

mill4023 New Member

Dec 6, 2012
    We just dumped TWC and went back to DTV and I have a couple questions.
    We've got the HR34 and 3 mini clients.

If we want to move the HR34 to a different location and swap it with one of the mini clients, is it as simple as just swapping boxes? Or is there some other setup that needs to be done?

When I signed up, I hadn't realized that the clients connecting to the DVR wouldn't have their own tuners. There will probably be times when we are recording 4 or 5 shows at once and I don't like that fact that the other TV's won't be able to watch anything.

So what are the options if we want the other TV's to have their own tuner? Can we just replace the mini clients with a standard receiver?
    If we do, is that just a matter of swapping the box or is there additional setup/install that needs to be done?
    Can the standard HD receivers connect to the Genie just like a mini client?

Thanks

2. WestDC

WestDC DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Change out the clients with HD receivers and then you can view Live channels while the genie uses the other tuners to record.

your current system can handle 8 Tuners

GENIE=5
    HD receiver =1

Your 3 clients changed to HD receivers = 3 so you will be maxed out. (not problem)

Or add 1 HDDVR & 1 HD Receiver.

HDDVR =2

Move the Genie any where you wish.

3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    While the clients don't have any tuners, if all five are in use, a client will still let you watch "something".
    They will turn on and be tuned to one of the channels that's being recorded. You won't be able to change channels without canceling a recording, but you will be able to watch any recording.

4. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    You can't select another tuner to join???

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I don't understand your question, so maybe if I restate what does happen it will help:

When the HR34 has all the tuners in use, and you turn on a C31, it will pick a tuner that is recording.
    Trying to change channels, [even one that is doing another recording] brings up a screen showing which tuners are doing what and you select which recording to cancel so it can change to the channel you wanted.

6. mill4023

mill4023 New Member

Dec 6, 2012
    Thanks everyone. That helps.

7. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Can you just join a different channel that's in use, without cancelling a recording?

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Not at this time.