1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Genie to client over wireless?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by spidey, May 13, 2013.

1. spidey

spidey Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    I have done alot of searchign and cant seem to find an answer, can Genie server support a client over wireless network in the home versus the coax DECA network. Reason I ask is I really would like to get rid of some of the funky external to house cabling I have to get all my DVRs hooked up onto the DECA network.

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Look, I'm not saying it won't work. However, you would have to have a really good quality wireless network and it would be completely unsupported. I have personally tried hooking a wireless DECA to a C31 client and it did work ok for about 15 minutes. It did not work well enough to watch a whole show or use trickplay.

There have been some rumors of a wireless client coming from DIRECTV dealers lately and something was mentioned in a conference call. You might be best advised to wait until something like that happens.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    There are usually too many dependencies in wireless. It may work fine at one point in time and die when someone decides they want to download or transfer a big file over wireless.

It is unfortunate that when cabling is required, DIRECTV forces you to use the one that is arguably the most troublesome to fish but that is the choice that they made. MoCA exclusivity appears to be unique to DIRECTV as all non-DIRECTV client devices feature RJ45 and wireless LAN connections. I suppose there's still the option of using a DECA broadband adapter at the back of the TV/client.

I have to admit, it does seem odd that nobody seems to offer MoCA (high band nor low band) on their home entertainment gear.

4. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I've been running a client on a WCCK standalone - nothing else on the WCCK- very successfully. But I also used 5Ghz fine on regular MRV.

It would also seem odd that Harsh hasn't tried it himself instead of just speculating about it.

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Why would coax be any harder to fish than ethernet?

6. tpm1999

tpm1999 Legend

Sep 5, 2006
    My wireless C41 setup seems to work well... Given that it is somewhat of a strange setup. There can be a slight lag in button input, but the video plays great! I did have to put the hr44 and the c41 on the 5ghz band to get it to work reliably. I will probably replace it for the wireless C41W once that comes out.