1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Genie-to-PC: Watch up to 3 Live TV streams on your connected PCs (*update to follow*)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by kaminar, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Sep 2, 2013 #1 of 15
    kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    As of Aug 30, the Genie can push up to 3 live streams to connected PCs/laptops, etc. As per usual, the Genie and the PCs must be connected to a wireless home network (wireless router, CCK, et al). Yes, this means you can watch DirecTV on your PC (actually, up to 3 of them simultaneously). Not just recorded content (aka DirecTV2PC), but live TV.

Additional details/revisions to follow. For mods: this is not pre-release info. Just did not see a post about it yet. :)

**If this feature is something that we already knew, please advise.

-=K=-

2. Sep 2, 2013 #2 of 15
    sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    How?

3. Sep 2, 2013 #3 of 15
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Well, live TV can be done already via the iPad app for certain channels. You can also use DirecTV Everywhere from DirecTV's website to access certain channels via a web browser. As for recorded content, you need to have a GenieGo. Are you sure you're not confusing how you can have up to 3 clients actively connected to a Genie with some of the other features of DirecTV?

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

4. Sep 2, 2013 #4 of 15
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    This doesn't sound like TV Everywhere as there is a stated limit on the number of clients.

As a possibly related issue, doing an RVU client on a computer could be a giant leap towards hackers blowing up RVU.

5. Sep 2, 2013 #5 of 15
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    This doesn't sound like TV Everywhere as there is a stated limit on the number of clients.

As a possibly related issue, doing an RVU client on a computer could be a giant leap towards hackers blowing up RVU.

Hence my question if they are confusing the 3 client limitation and other features from DirecTV...

- Merg

6. Sep 2, 2013 #6 of 15
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I'd like to see some link to a press release or detailed info regarding the OP.

- Merg

7. Sep 2, 2013 #7 of 15
    peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I'd like to see some link to a press release or detailed info regarding the OP.

- Merg

I second this....

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

8. Sep 3, 2013 #8 of 15
    kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    Update--as before, this information is in unofficial format--not sure if it's big news or just a refresh of what we know already..am sure much of the info is common knowledge. Sorry there aren't more details, but sounds like those with HR3x/HR4x receivers will have even MORE fun than before..

(see attached) :)

-=K=-

9. Sep 3, 2013 #9 of 15
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Update--as before, this information is in unofficial format--not sure if it's big news or just a refresh of what we know already..am sure much of the info is common knowledge. Sorry there aren't more details, but sounds like those with HR3x/HR4x receivers will have even MORE fun than before..

(see attached) :)

-=K=-

That is DirecTV Everywhere. There are certain channels that can be streamed live via the iPad app or via the DirecTV site. You are not streaming from the Genie and this does not include recorded content. This streaming can be done in the home only and you can stream up to 3 shows at once. There are a few channels that you can stream outside of your home network though. Initially, there were only about 2 channels that could be streamed out of home, but now it is up to about 6 or so...

- Merg

10. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    Yes, sort of..it seemed like that to me at first. Now it can be streamed to a PC as well. I'll check again re: Genie streaming or not.

-=K=-

11. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yes, sort of..it seemed like that to me at first. Now it can be streamed to a PC as well. I'll check again re: Genie streaming or not.

-=K=-

Streaming via PC via the web browser has been supported since DirecTV Everywhere started. You are not streaming from the Genie itself. All Live TV streaming is done via the Internet.

- Merg

12. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Man, I really thought this meant a RVU client PC App from DirecTV. That would have been awesome, and I probably would have finally considered switching to a Genie at my home if it were true.

13. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Naahhhhh, this is old, very old news....

nothing new to see here

14. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    Perhaps I missed something or the announcement has been modified behind the scenes..it originally threw me for a loop..agree that DirecTV Everywhere is not new, have known of it from the beginning..apparently there is now a PC app to go along with the Android/iPad apps.

-=K=-

15. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Nope, no PC app. you just go to DirecTV.com and watch from there.