1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Genie to PC

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by FastNOC, Aug 17, 2013.

1. FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    Is this even possible?

Do i have the ability to go out from fhe sat box in to my pc? I mean I know i ahve the HDMI inputs, but just thinking, i believe those are outs, not in. So it would take the signal out from the pc in to the box, but not the other way around.

Reason i'm wondering is I'd like to use media center to control the recording.

My guess is no, this won't work but i thought i'd ask.

I do have a dual tuner haupage card but that would be pretty useless i imagine since it wouldn't know what do to with a sat signal.

Thughts? or is it possible to somehow go out from the box tot he haupage card?

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Not possible with HDMI and not possible to control the recording via PC media center app. you can however use a capture hardware/software to to "bring" the Genie signals to PC and record there

3. code4code5

code4code5 Godfather

Aug 29, 2006
    I use a Hauppauge Colossus (http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_colossus.html) to bring HD from DirecTV into the computer. HDMI works great, but there's also an option to use component and optical digital in. It's a hardware encoder, so there's very little overhead on the system when recording.

With the included WinTV app, I was able to stream last weeks pre-season Bronco game over the Internet to my hotel room on the east coast. I'm a big fan of Colossus, but they also sell a USB based version if you would prefer.