1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Genie "TV Shows" Discussion

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Stuart Sweet, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    What do you guys think of the new TV shows menu? It's colorful, I'll give them that. Does it work well for you? How could it work better?

2. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia

I LOVE the "Premieres" section, but the results are often incomplete...

I posted the following in the Genie Recommends thread, and having more complete results would certainly result in a better Genie Recommends product in my eyes.

I like the idea of the "Local Shows" sub-category, but I mostly get results from programs on channels that are anything but local, and very few of my actual local programming is listed.

It's a pet peeve and won't affect most folks, but I'm also disappointed that when Genie displays network programming, it might display the call letters for my local network, a neighboring market's local (via the AM21), or the DNS feeds I receive.

Also... "Show Type" and "By Interest" is missing many popular categories like Comedy and Drama, etc.

Overall... a cool feature that I hope to see future improvements on. :)

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I am amazed at how extensive it is! Over 100 offerings!

Are the recommendations the same as Genie Recommends; most shows seem duplicated in both lists, though Genie's is a dozen or so more.

The only improvement I can think of now is when you delete a suggested show it pops you to the top, not where you were.

4. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    By Interest is missing . . . .
    • Horror
    • SciFi
    • Science
    • Sitcom
    • Mystery
    • Suspense
    • Sports
    By Show Type is missing . . . .
    • Sports
    • Series
    • News
    • Musicals

At present, I'm not using it.

5. raott

raott Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2005
    It is fine, however I think the entire "My Directv" and "Search and Browse" menus need to be scrapped and reorganized. The layouts are confusing and in some cases repetitive.

6. Tiny

Tiny Mentor

Feb 1, 2009
    Barbara Eden was the best Genie ...........

7. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Show Type is also missing Movies

8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Since I turned Genie back on, the number of recorded offerings in the TV section is only 18.

In the Genie REcommends section since I turned Genie back on, the number of recorded offerings is a "mere" 40, and of those 9 are PPVs!

Has anyone else seen similar?

I don't recall seeing PPVs in the first time, though I didn't check through all of them.

9. RunnerFL

RunnerFL DIRECTV A-Team

Jan 4, 2006
    It's colorful but doesn't go with the rest of the UI.

10. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Still not using it.

But it would be a nice place to list Far in Advance programs.