1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Genie Upgrade/Install on Sunday!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by nj1313, Jan 22, 2014.

1. nj1313

nj1313 Legend

Nov 2, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I currently have 2 HR24's and 1 HR23 in my home.
    I am replacing the HR23 with a new Genie HDDVR. I have a couple of Questions:

1.) What are the chances I get an HR44, instead of an HR34?

2.) Does the Genie HDDVR have GenieGo built in or would I need to also go buy the GenieGo product to be able to watch my playlist selections on my other mobile devices?

3.) If I have an SWM-8, would I need them to upgrade it to an SWM-16? And would this be part of the professional install I am paying for?

4.) Am I forgetting anything else? LOL!

Thank you so much for any help you can pass along

2. brian26339

brian26339 New Member

Dec 12, 2008
    1. Don't know what your chances are but be sure to ask the installer for an HR44 if you what one. I just had one installed last week and the installer was going to install a 34 until I asked for a 44. He said he had one on the trunk and was saving it for someone who specifically asked for it. A morning appointment also might help your chances. It also didn't hurt my cause that I had 20 good reasons in my hand when I asked, if you know what I mean.

2. GenieGo is a separate device.

3. I know swim 8 obviously only supports 8 tuners. Genie has 5 and the 2 HR's you are keeping each have 2 for a total of 9. Swim 16 would be where you need to go. Someone else on here might know better than me, but I believe they have the stuff on the truck to do the swim upgrade. I would probably make sure they knew it was needed ahead of time.

4. Not that I can think of.

Hope this helps.

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    3. [A note to add] It would be part of the install. You could also deactivate one tuner on one or the HR24s to get back to eight.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I can't, in good conscience, recommend an incomplete install; especially if someone else is footing the bill.

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    And I seriously doubt it an installer will leave like this...

6. kaminar

kaminar Mentor

Mar 25, 2012
    Moving from SWiM8 to 16 requires additional wiring. Be sure to discuss with tech to ensure he has access. HR44 is much more prevalent than before, but still a 50/50 chance. Doesn't hurt to have an extra 20 reason lying around ;) GenieGo is $99 extra, and depending on who you ask, is either a great idea or a waste of time. If watching DVR items in 480p while on the road (or plugged into laptop while on the road), then you'll be fine. HD not available, since all shows are re-encoded from DVR to GenieGo..

Good luck!

-=K=-

7. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    You righteous brothers (harsh and peds) should understand I am not recommending this, but it is an option available, especially if a self install is ever in the cards.

1 person likes this.
  8. rsc92

rsc92 New Member

Oct 11, 2006
    I just had a SWM 16 installed last week. Be certain to discuss with your installer prior to installation. Had I not done my research, my installer would have wasted a lot of time and likely would have left without a proper install. My tech was a nice guy who did good/neat work but was relatively new on the job and lacked proper training.

This is what you need.

1. New LNB with four coax connections
    2. Four coax cables running between dish/LNB and SWM 16
    3. 29v power supply for SWM 16
    4. There are 2 SWM ports on the SWM 16. The genie will connect to one of these ports. A splitter will be connected to the other port which will feed your other DVRs/Receivers (up to 8 tuners)
    5. Insist that the SWM 16 is installed indoors
    6. Proper install will include the power down of all receivers and DVRs and then turning them on one by one.

If you google directv SWM 16 you will find a good wiring diagram you can provide the installer, if need be

Insist on the HR44 or reschedule install - it is incredibly fast - making the HR-24 seem slow (which it is not)

Good luck and enjoy. Don't be afraid to babysit/handhold the installer.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

9. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    4. Depending on your installation/receivers, you can connect a splitter to one of both ports. and the Genie does not necessarily needs to be bi itself. As a matter of fact, I would recommend connecting the Genie and any Genie minis to the same SWM port.
    5. SWM16 can be and is made to be installed outdoors.
    6. not necessarily

10. rsc92

rsc92 New Member

Oct 11, 2006
    Although the SWM16 is made for outdoor use, you will be better served and avoid potential issues down the road if it is installed indoors. Indoors it is protected from the elements. Just my 2cents.

Good luck with the install on Sunday.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

11. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    the same can be said about many things. The fact is that a properly installed SWM16 outdoors should have no problems. Mine has been outside for over 3 years and so far no issues

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. nj1313

nj1313 Legend

Nov 2, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks for all of the information Gang...

I will have a "pep" talk with the installer when he gets here.

I have a morning (8AM-Noon) appointment time and will ask him when he arrives that I'd like an HR44 (if he has one on the truck) and that the install will need an SWM-16 upgrade from my SWM-8.
    My SWM is outside, but under my deck along the house out of all of the elements :) I've never had any issues with my SWM-8, so I don't think outside will be an issue.

We'll see how it goes...thanks again!

13. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    exactly, you will be fine. Let us know how the install goes....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. nj1313

nj1313 Legend

Nov 2, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    One last question...

My new Genie DVR will work with my 2 HR24's with regards to Whole Home, right? I don't need to get Genie Mini's or anything like that, right?
    I'll be able to watch programs saved on my Genie on my HR24's and programs saved on my HR24's on my Genie?

15. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Yes to all 3 of your "One last questions".

1 person likes this.
  16. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    as Mr Broderick mentioned, you are correct on all fronts. What you will not be able to do is managed either DVR from another DVR.

17. nj1313

nj1313 Legend

Nov 2, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    What does this mean? I won't be able to watch something on one HR24 to another HR24? That would defeat the purpose of whole home, no?

18. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I said you are correct. which means you can watch the playlist anywhere. However, you can't schedule a show to record on the Genie from an HR24.

19. nj1313

nj1313 Legend

Nov 2, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Oh.... I can't do that now anyways with my 3 HD DVR's... Thought you can only program a recording from the actual HRDVR itself or online...

Only thing I can do one HDDVR to another is watch and delete shows...

20. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Correct and that stays the same, no change there.