DBSTalk Forum banner

Genie Upgrade Questions

4K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  VaJim 
#1 ·
I'm scheduled for an upgrade to the Genie/w minie next week. Do have a couple of questions:

I currently have a 2 HR21=100. My thought is the Genie and mini would replace both of these. Reading around it sounds like some keep the old receivers..? Is this true and if so why?

#4 ·
Keeping your old DVRs allows you to watch any recordings on them, as well as use them to do additional recording (more recording space/time). With a DVR you retain the "trick play" control of live tv, and they can share in whole-home.

Client is smaller, cleaner installation. Gives you full control at the viewing location just as if you were using the Genie at that location.

So there are pros and cons, and only you can decide which is best for your situation. Either way will work just fine.

#5 ·
Thanks all...

How are you using the term 'client'? So if I understand correctly, if all you have is a Genie and maybe a mini and the Genie dies...you SOL..?

For those of you who did keep, do you keep in hooked up...where?....and what does that do to your DTV bill?

RTU.....is that the same as the term 'Smart TV' that I see on some of the Samsung sets?

#6 ·
Unless you don't own a dvd player (or any other source of tv like OTA), and your life ends if you cant have tv for a day or two in case of some sort of failure of your directv receiver, Id get the genie and one client for your system. It only adds more function to what you have now. A lot more. The ONLY thing you lose is if the Genie itself dies, you are without either tv having the ability to pick up sat tv until it gets replaced. That is the ONLY thing you would lose over your current system. The other positives so far out weigh that IMHO.

#7 ·
VaJim said:
Thanks all...

How are you using the term 'client'? So if I understand correctly, if all you have is a Genie and maybe a mini and the Genie dies...you SOL..?

For those of you who did keep, do you keep in hooked up...where?....and what does that do to your DTV bill?

RTU.....is that the same as the term 'Smart TV' that I see on some of the Samsung sets?
RVU is the same idea as whats built into some tvs, but the outboard genie mini clients are generally reported to respond better.

Any HR can be considered a client for playback of recordings on another tv, but only the mini genie clients give you full access to all menus and series recordings, same guide data, etc as the main genie.

People leave them hooked up and use hrs instead of mini clients all the time.

Bill wise, it really doesn't matter which way you go, as it all works out the same pricing wise, except for some instances if they update how your billed you could see a change of $2-$3 MAYBE.

#8 ·
VaJim said:
Thanks all...

Here client means the C31 or C41, and is entirely dependent on a Genie (server), the HR34 or 44.

RVU is "extra smart": Not all smart Samsungs are RVU enabled, but all RVU enabled Sammies are smart.

I happen to have both DVRs and clients in my set up, linked by a Whole Home installation.

#9 ·
I'm getting a Genie + Client next Tuesday (though I'm keeping my HR24) and was curious about your comment that you retain trick play control of live TV with a DVR. Can you not pause and rewind live TV with the client? I thought the client gave you access to everything on the Genie including live TV.

carl6 said:
Keeping your old DVRs allows you to watch any recordings on them, as well as use them to do additional recording (more recording space/time). With a DVR you retain the "trick play" control of live tv, and they can share in whole-home.

Client is smaller, cleaner installation. Gives you full control at the viewing location just as if you were using the Genie at that location.

So there are pros and cons, and only you can decide which is best for your situation. Either way will work just fine.

#11 ·
shendley said:
I'm getting a Genie + Client next Tuesday (though I'm keeping my HR24) and was curious about your comment that you retain trick play control of live TV with a DVR. Can you not pause and rewind live TV with the client? I thought the client gave you access to everything on the Genie including live TV.
Yes, the Genie client will do that. What won't do that (unless you hit R to record it): Live TV on a receiver only, such as the H20, H24 or H25.

#12 ·
shendley said:
I think Inkahauts and Laxguy answered this, but just to clarify:
A C31/C41 client gives you full control, as if the Genie itself were at that TV. You can use all trick play, set and manage recordings, etc.
An HR2x DVR can participate in whole-home, can set recordings on itself (but not on other units), can play recordings from any unit, and has it's own tuners, buffer, and trick play.
An H2x receiver can participate in whole-home, can set recordings on any DVR/Genie, but has no trick play capability (no buffer).
You can have a system that is comprised of almost any combination of the above units. A genie, a C31, an HR2x and an H2x for example. The H2x would not have trick play capability for live tv.

#13 ·
Re: Trick Play (aka FF, RW, Pause, etc.) on the H25.

After a bit you get used to hitting R for anything remotely interesting, so you have all that available. And live TV is behind by several hundred..... milliseconds.

#16 ·
On my H24 receiver I can also record and assign the recording to any of my networked DVRs. I cannot view the to do list, season passes etc...my selection priority would be Genie, HD DVR, HD receiver, Mini genie. Some DVRs can be a noisy in a bedroom. If that is a problem a receiver or mini genie is a good option and if size matters the mini genie wins. I would also need to research reports of problems with the mini genie to see it they are isolated or significant.

#18 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I do have a few more questions.

If I do keep one of my current dvr's, how or where would I hook it up? Not understanding the function or purpose of the hr21-100 after I get the genie

I hope I get the hr44. Does the genie have built in wifi? My hr21-100 does not and I was using a gaming adapter which has died

#19 ·
The install tech should upgrade your system to be whole home ready. The HR44 has built in wifi, the HR34 does not. All you need to decide is where you want your DVRs located. For me the extra DVR serves as a back up for important recordings, rarely has it been needed. Some users asign DVRs to another family member for their recordings...you decide what works for you. You will be able to view the playlist for all DVRs on the whole home system if you desire or you can select to not share the playlist and keep the list private.

#20 ·
ticmxman said:
The install tech should upgrade your system to be whole home ready. The HR44 has built in wifi, the HR34 does not. All you need to decide is where you want your DVRs located. For me the extra DVR serves as a back up for important recordings, rarely has it been needed. Some users asign DVRs to another family member for their recordings...you decide what works for you. You will be able to view the playlist for all DVRs on the whole home system if you desire or you can select to not share the playlist and keep the list private.
Thanks. So how does the old hr21-100?hook up to the genie?

#21 ·
The HR21 stays connected like it is now (other than they may switch you to the SWiM system) but it's a fully functioning the DVR along with the Genie. . .and MORE recording space.

I've got 6 DVRs and a Genie (7 DVRs in Total) I wouldn't replace a DVR with a client (31/41) as long as it costs the same monthly. (which it does)

#22 ·
VaJim said:
Thanks. So how does the old hr21-100?hook up to the genie?
Via your network the tech will connect all units to the network thru the coax lines that also carry the satellite signal. Some models require a separate adaptor to connect the tech should install what ever is needed. Just let them know you want all units to be on the whole home system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.