1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie Upgrade

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Matman, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Matman

Matman Legend

Mar 24, 2008
    Afternoon All

Has been a couple years since I posted last, moved, birth of twins, etc. Anyway, just wanted to post about my recent upgrade experience.

Had been reading the posts about Genies for the last couple months. We presently have a whole home setup, 3 tvs, (1 HR21 and 2 H21 via a SWIM setup). We had upgraded to the whole home a couple years ago when we moved and have enjoyed the setup. (Installer we had was top notch, listened to my wishes and did the install excatly as I asked despite the fact it definitely took longer that way, but thats a different post. Yes, he left with a little extra green in his pocket and since it was late Friday afternoon, we had a beer as well!!)

Anyway, a couple months ago we noticed the DVR was starting to get a little "funky". (Unresponsive when 1st turned on, occassional "thinking" when button was pushed etc). I know part of the fact was my twins had a stage where they LOVED to get ahold of it and push the power button as MANY times in a row as they could before I got to them. No matter how I blocked it in, they found it. I'm sure when the units are tested before going live, that was not a test they were put through! We have lived with the issues as honestly they were not the worst thing in the the world and once the unit was on for a few min, 99% of the time it was fine. But the increased recording streams on the Genie as well as the larger hard drive definitely piqued my interest!

I noticed in a couple of posts here that folks with the protection plan (mandatory with little kids in my humble opinion) were getting free upgrade offers. Knowing I was a few months out of contract, I logged in and sure enough, the offer was there, however to get a Genie I needed to call.

I bit the bullet and called in yesterday afternoon. Got a very nice CSR on the phone and we had some joking back and forth over kids etc. (She has teenagers and noted she would take the "terrible two's back in a heartbeat). Upgraded the units to a new Genie and 2 mini clients. To my surprise she then noted they would be drop shipped to my house for self install. I told her that would be great as I have done some self work in the past. She then took a look at the bill, offered up some credits and some free movie channel premiums for the next 90 days without my prompting. (My wife and I both enjoy a movie versus most traditional TV fare once the kids crash so this was a treat). I thanked her very much for everything and was handed off to the order confirmation group who again confirmed the drop ship and importance of returning the existing equipment via the return packages to avoid a charge. Rep noted that they would try to have in my hands today, however since it was close to Fed Ex pickup time that it may not make it until Monday. I told him I understood completely.

Next step of course is the "what did I get" for a model, and I will update as soon as the package arrives. But all in all, great experience, veryhappy with the service, and the drop ship/self install option was a VERY nice surprise.

2. HDinVT

HDinVT Legend

Dec 14, 2006
    saw a balloon floating over the circ and wondered if you were still around .... good to see you back on line. I've been considering this same upgrade, the HR20-700 is ancient, but we are about 3 months behind "live" in what we watch. I searched around and did not see any new information, have you noticed if external harddrives can be moved between units???

3. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    , have you noticed if external harddrives can be moved between units???

Nope

4. Matman

Matman Legend

Mar 24, 2008
    Still around, moved a few miles north so not quite as close to you as I used to be!!! I do get a flight in here and there, but not nearly as much as I used to!!!!!

My take is they can be moved, however recordings will get wiped clean when the drive is initialized.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using DBSTalk mobile app

5. Matman

Matman Legend

Mar 24, 2008
    Quick update.

No visit from the Fed Ex man yesterday (Friday). Honestly not too surprised given how late I called initially on Thurs. (4:50ish Eastern)

Was out mowing the lawn this am (those on the east coast can probably relate, this summer you mow whenever you can find a time that its not raining!!) Glanced up and noticed the nice Fed Ex guy stopping at my house around 10am. Met him and he gave me 3 boxes from D* very clearly tagged "Sat Delievery" Fed Ex guy commented on the logos noting he hoped it was some new toys.

Finished mowing the lawn and came inside. Boxes were a HR34-700 and 2 Genie Mini Clients. Hitched up recievers and despite a couple of small hiccups, am good to go. Had to call D* as first activation signal didn't take. Rep was great and actually stayed on the line while I hitched up the 2 Genie Minis and activated.

Only other issue was hitching up a Genie Mini to a older tube TV via componnent. (Treadmill room). Box was set to output in 480p during setup, so couldn't see anything on TV. Ended up setting up on a HD tv, setting output to 480i and moving back to basement. In retrospect not sure if hitting the "format" button during setup may have gotten me to the correct res or not.......

Question for the masses. Current setup is a swm 3 dish, 4 way multi. I do not have a power inserter, which I see on a lot of diagrams. I've removed all my deca goodies leftover from my old whole hime setup. Everything seems to be working fine, am I missing something or am I good with no power inserter?

All in all a good experience. I did have to laugh, when I called in to activate receiver the 2nd time, the rep noted he has been there 2 years and I was the first self Genie install he had seen, said rolling the truck is usually the standard.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using DBSTalk mobile app

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    If you have a picture you have a pier inserted somewhere with that setup.

Which genie did you get?

And did you, and if so how did you connect to the Internet?

7. Matman

Matman Legend

Mar 24, 2008
    Morning

After I posted I did a little more "looking" at my system. (Its been a bit!). I've got one of the slimlines that don't take the power inserter. (Au9-Sl3). So I disconnected the remainder of the Cinema kit last night. (I was going to update post but the site seemed to be down last night). So far so good, signal strengths are solid and the setup menus show all 5 tuners ready to rock and record.

I got a HR34-700 and 2 Genie C31 clients. Genie is plugged directly to Router. I've removed all the old DECA and Cinema Kit hardware. Genie did update to the current release during install and both minus updated themselves as well. Too early for an informed review, still playing with everything. Initial impressions are a definite uptick in speed when using the guide, no more delay from power on to responding to remote commands, and there seems to be a slight increase in picture brightness and output volume. (Last is just my opinion, I have nothing scientific to back that up but the TVs seem a tiny bit brighter and tiny bit louder)

Best surprise was the boxes ability to self program the remote to control the TV. I was always fine using the codes in the old days, but the new feature of the box doing it by itself during initial setup was pretty slick. (Ive had to help my parents program theirs a couple times, I can see a great use for this feature)

Sent from my Kindle Fire using DBSTalk mobile app

8. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Morning

After I posted I did a little more "looking" at my system. (Its been a bit!). I've got one of the slimlines that don't take the power inserter. (Au9-Sl3).
    Sent from my Kindle Fire using DBSTalk mobile app

Ig you have a Genie and is working, you have a PI somewhere in the system. be it an LNB or switch PI