1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Genie vs Hopper lease fee ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by hotshot187, Jul 24, 2013.

1. hotshot187

hotshot187 New Member

Jul 10, 2013
    Webster, NY
    Can anyone shed a light on way the Genie is $25 while the hopper is only $12. Genie with 2 minis is 37. While the Hopper with 2 joeys is $26. The Genie seems a bit overpriced to me.

2. Blitz68

Blitz68 Hall Of Fame

Apr 19, 2006
    Then get a Hopper.

3. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    actually Genie and 2 clients is 31($25+ $6) since the first receiver is credited back to your account. the $25 includes your HD, DVR and WHDVR fees

4. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    You're misunderstanding the fee structure. DirecTV has a $25 fee covering HD, MRV and the fee for having DVRs on the account. Nothing to do with the Genie, it would be the same fee if you had just an HD DVR. Or six DVRs.
    Then each box (Genie, miniclient, receiver or DVR) has a $6 lease fee, and you get a $6 credit to cover the first box.

5. Blitz68

Blitz68 Hall Of Fame

Apr 19, 2006
    Oh, and Dish networks crappy service and threats to drop channels...lol

6. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I would suggest get the inferior Hopper

7. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    and GET ZERO NY RSN's

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    And I believe the Hopper price really jumps if you get a second one to get to the level of recording options the Genie has, if it's not network primetime.

And good luck mixing equipment with the hopper, it's hopper and joey, no other options.

9. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Sorry about how negative DBSTalk has become....

To make a fair comparison you'd really have to see what the all the equipment charges would be for the exact equipment you need from both providers. You also need to take into consideration the programming that you'd want - for example - if you're an NFL fan you can only get Sunday Ticket from DirecTV. If you're a PAC12 you'd have to go with Dish Network to get the PAC12 Network...

Each provider has its advantages and disadvantages and we'd need more info on what programming and hardware you would need to help you figure it out.

1 person likes this.
  10. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    $25 for DirecTV is HD+DVR+Whole Home
    $12 for Dish is DVR only. HD is $10 a month more.* So it would be more comparable to say a Hopper+2 Joeys is $36. Plus as someone mentioned when you add a second Hopper you're looking at either $14 or $17 more for the receiver (I can't remember which, but either way that's a bit insane).

*Dish gives you HD free for life with auto bill pay and paperless billing, and DirecTV gives you $10 off for 24 months with the same. So it's either $27 or $26 in fees if you are comparing the same promotions.
    Plus of course no New York RSNs with Dish and also you would have to have Dish. But it's a $1 difference, not a $11 difference.

11. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    The $25 is NOT a Genie fee. This fee is HD, DVR, and Whole Home rolled into on fee called the Advanced Receiver Service. This would be the same if it were an HD DVR.

IIUC, with the Hopper if you upgrade from another Dish HD-DVR to a Hopper/Joey you will pay an additional $12/mo.

Additionally, each additional Joey is $7/mo where as each additional Genie mini client is $6/mo.

Mike

12. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I gladly pay $1 more for 5 real tuners that allow me to record any channel at any time with no restrictions other than subscribing to the channel. The Hopper is just NOT for me. For that matter, neither is DISH!

1 person likes this.