1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Genie

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Garry, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Garry

Garry Legend

Jul 4, 2006
    I currently have 3 HD DVRS and 2 HD receivers. All three DVRS have recorded content on them.

If I were to get Genie, would I still be able to retain the HD DVRS?

Also how involved is getting Genie installed?

2. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Yes, you can keep your DVR's. Assuming that you already have SWM, the installer will need to change your LNB from a SWM LNB (which can only handle 8 tuners) to a standard LNB and install a SWM-16 multiswitch. This will require 3 additional coax runs from your dish to the switch. The SWM-16 will then have two lines out that will either run to splitters or directly to receivers.

IF you don't already have a SWM dish, the installer will replace your existing 6x8 multiswitch with a SWM-16 and some splitters, add DECA's to each of your existing receivers and install a power inserter. One line going to each of your DVR's will be disconnected.

3. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Please also note that you don't have to have all or any of the legacy receivers hooked to the dish while you while you watch down your recorded programs. So you don't have to change the LNB or SWiM.

4. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    Right. I didn't read his question as if he wanted to eventually get rid of the DVR's after he finished watching the previously recorded programming. Rather he was asking if he could replace one of the HD receivers with the Genie.

If I misunderstood the question, Laxguy is absolutely correct.

5. Garry

Garry Legend

Jul 4, 2006
    No, I wouldn't want to replace my DVR's. My thought was to replace one of my non-DVR's that I have.

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    So you would just need a SWM 16. Trickiest part really is that the installer has to make sure not to overload one side of the SWM 16. But that's simple, just can't go over 8 tuners on each side.

7. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Wouldn't the receivers go into a rebooting loop with the latest software if not connected to a dish?

8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Dunno. Would require new data which I don't have, and would be different for legacy receivers than latest ones.
    Do you have info. that shows that?

9. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    There were lots of post over at DirecTV forums from RVers "complaining that the HR2x would keep rebooting if not connected to a working dish.

10. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    This would be best IMHO and allow you to watch all your content anywhere with Whole Home Service just as you are now.