1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

GenieGo and the AM21

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by rjih, Jul 21, 2013.

1. rjih

rjih New Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Smyrna GA
    Programs recorded with the AM21 show up in the Playlist on my DVR, but will not display in the DRV Playlist in the GenieGo application on either my PC or iPhone. All recorded programs not using the AM21 display properly in the GenieGo playlist. I researched the DirecTv web site and it has the following statement regarding items that cannon be displayed on GenieGo. "All HD DVR recordings are available to view on your computer or mobile device with the exception of Pay Per View, Video on Demand and 3D programs." I called technical support for GenieGo, and they could find no documentation regarding the incompatibility of recordings made through the AM21 and GenieGo.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem, or do I have a unique issue.

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    OTA recordings won't be transcoded and therefore, won't transfer to your GenieGo.

Same with any out-of-market professional sports games you might subscribe too (MLB EI, NHL CI, NFL ST and NBA LP). You can get your local teams on the GenieGo (via your RSN channel) or nationally televised games, but not any others.

3. texasbrit

texasbrit DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 9, 2006
    No, it's a known limitation - DirecTV should make it clear on the web site. Off-air programs recorded through the AM21 cannot be transferred to the GenieGo and therefore are not available to other devices.

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    No, it's a known limitation - DirecTV should make it clear on the web site. Off-air programs recorded through the AM21 cannot be transferred to the GenieGo and therefore are not available to other devices.

And also VOD/PPV cannot be transferred to GenieGo as well...

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

5. rjih

rjih New Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Smyrna GA
    Thanks for the information, I am happy to have that issue resolved. I am a recent convert to Directv from Dish Network. Directv has many positives but their implementation of remote access, especially the picture quality, is quite inferior to Dish.

6. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Picture quality looks fine from the GenieGo on both my iPhone and iPad

7. rjih

rjih New Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Smyrna GA
    There is a very obvious difference in the picture quality from GenieGo and the Sling implementation Dish uses.

8. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    On what device(s) please?

9. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I have seen videos that are supposed to be HD from apps like HBOGo and the like, and the be honest, the GenieGo and these videos appear the same to me

10. rjih

rjih New Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Smyrna GA
    iPhone, iPad and PC. The best I can describe it is that GenieGo looks like 480i, and the Dish implementation looks like 1080i.

11. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    I have to disagree here.

To my eyes, HBOGo looks much sharper on my iPad3 than content from GenieGo. GenieGo does ok until there's motion and then I can really see the macroblocking. Netflix looks sharper to me as well.

Now, I'm not saying that the PQ of GenieGo is crap, just that others look better compared to it.

12. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    IMG_0616.PNG IMG_0618.PNG IMG_0619.PNG IMG_0620.PNG Not sure if the pictures can do any justice, but here is some samples of HBOGo and GenieGo on an iPad 3 Gen. the GenieGo has the 1x on the bottom right

Attached Files: