1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

GenieGo for iOS v2.2.x - Issues/Discussion

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by The Merg, Jun 29, 2013.

1. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    What's New
    • The DIRECTV nomad app is now the DIRECTV GenieGo app.
    • Now instantly stream recordings on your HD DVR anywhere you have a Wi-Fi Internet connection without having to be on the home network. Just click "Watch Now" on any program in your Playlist to start watching instantly.
    • Set programs to prepare for download while you are away from home so they are ready for download when you arrive home.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Turns out my iPad app, though it said it updated, was an older version. I had to delete it manually from the iPad, and then it upgraded to the new version. Haven't had a chance to try it on an outside WiFi connection.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    iOS v2.2.116

Issue: Transcoding Slowness
    I started to transcode 4 shows last night at about 1:30 am (2 one-hour shows and 2 two-hour shows). I started to watch recordings via MRV from the serving DVR and as I understand it, that would cause the transcodings to be paused. I stopped watching recordings at 3:30 am. When I got up at 7:30 am and checked my iPad, I found that it was just finishing transcoding the second one-hour show and hadn't even started on the two-hour shows. By that time, it should have been able to transcode both one-hour shows and at least one of the two-hour shows.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

4. alexcohen

alexcohen AllStar

Sep 27, 2006
    I wonder if anyone can help me with this problem. I transferred a bunch of Letterman's to my ipad before the update but for some reason the GenieGo/Nomad didn't transfer the entire hour, some are 15 minutes, 40, etc. They're full size on my DVR. If I delete them & re-download they'll still be short. Is there anyway to delete the programs on the GenieGo/Nomad unit itself? The 30 second reset doesn't delete programming. Thanks!

5. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    A 2-minute reset will wipe programming as well. All of it, tho. There's no way to selectively delete.

1 person likes this.
  6. alexcohen

alexcohen AllStar

Sep 27, 2006
    Well that seemed to work, thanks! Now let's see if they download completely.

7. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Ya. You may find it happening again. We've had episodes of some severe weather here in NY the past week and I just watched an episode of Chopped that showed a full hour in the progress bar, but was missing about 16 minutes (the entire second round) in the middle of the show. There's no way GenieGo would have been able to transcode that without an issue, I'll bet.

1 person likes this.
  8. alexcohen

alexcohen AllStar

Sep 27, 2006
    I must be working because now 2 hours later one episode is still transcoding!

9. Jul 1, 2013 #9 of 69
    gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    I cant find the iPad version.

10. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    The iPad version is the iPhone version used at 2x for the GUI, but video playback is properly sized and scaled for the iPad screen.

11. gio12

gio12 Icon

Jul 31, 2006
    oh, thanks

12. alexcohen

alexcohen AllStar

Sep 27, 2006
    Any ideas on speeding up the transcoding, it's taking about 18 hours to transcode 1 hour of programming?

13. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Transcoding usually takes real time plus a few minutes to copy, so 64-65 minutes for a 1-hour show, e.g.

Unless the host DVR's been serving other content in the home for the past 18 hours, meaning the GenieGo device sees it as "busy", I would guess there's an issue with the original recording you're trying to transcode. Either that, or there's a handshaking issue between that DVR and the Genie device, in which case a reboot of both may be in order. Just my .02.

1 person likes this.
  14. alexcohen

alexcohen AllStar

Sep 27, 2006
    The "Late Shows" are on my bedroom DVR & I have been having trouble watching shows from my bedroom unit in the kitchen. I'm going to switch Letterman to the lving room DVR as soon as I finish this note, I'll let you know if that helps.

15. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Try Leno in the meantime!

:rolling:

Did you get the transcoding squared away?

16. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Sounds like you need to get your WHDVR issues resolved first. Whatever's causing the problems watching shows from that DVR is likely also causing problems transcoding shows from that DVR.

I'd start by running a system test on that bedroom DVR, and if it passes, then rebooting it. Menu-Settings-Info-Run Test

17. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Also, if your bedroom DVR happens to be an HR24-500, there is a known issue with Genie transcoding.

18. alexcohen

alexcohen AllStar

Sep 27, 2006
    Transcoding is still really slow.
    I'll check on the model number.
    I've had problems with whole house & Directv says "yes it's a problem" but refuses to help.

19. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    For troubleshooting, I come here, not to DIRECTV.

1 person likes this.
  20. alexcohen

alexcohen AllStar

Sep 27, 2006
    So I just ordered a Genie DVR, it'll end up costing me 40 bucks. I'm wondering how much of a pain in the butt that'll be! :eek2: