1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

GenieGo Hard Drive support?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by xandor, Jun 17, 2013.

1. xandor

xandor Legend

Nov 18, 2005
    I've searched but haven't been able to find anything on hard drive support for the GenieGo(Nomad).

Can anyone point me to links or information on external hard drive(s) supported by the GenieGo?

2. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    I think generally people, have simply added a large flash drive for more storage.

3. PK6301

PK6301 Legend

May 16, 2012
    Erie, PA
    The GenieGo hase a 16Gb internal storage, so you can use any usb above 16Gb for more space..So for less than $50 you can double the space..

Sent from my GT-P3113 using DBSTalk mobile app

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    When you plug in a USB drive, it is in addition to the 16GB the box already has. So you plug in a 16GB USB drive and now you're up to 32GB on your GenieGo. And IIRC, it will format the drive when you plug it in, so ensure you don't have any files you want to keep. You can get 64GB drives for under $25, so fairly inexpensive to expand your device's storage.

5. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
  6. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    I think some guys tried 1TB drives and they worked, but found fairly quickly that it was a waste of hard drive. A 32 or 64gb usb drive gives lots of geniego space.

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I have a portable 320GB drive connected without issue.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

8. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Same here. I never get close to filling it up though.

9. Mike_TV

Mike_TV Legend

Jan 17, 2006
    160 GB drive here that stays about half full most of the time.

10. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    When figuring out how much storage you might need, remember that a show will only stay in Genie Go storage as long as it's also still on the HR it came from. Shortly after a show is deleted from the HR, it disappears from "Ready To Download".

16GB of internal GenieGo storage holds about 20-25 hours of content, IIRC.

11. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Given the figure of 700MB - 1GB per hour of programming, even your garden variety 500GB drive would give you 500-600 hours of programming. Now, keep in mind an average person is awake about 480 hours in a 30-day period. How could you possibly watch that much programming before its 30 day expiration?

Also keeping in mind that it transcodes in real time, in order to fill that drive it would need to be transcoding almost constantly.

I mean it's great that the thing is expandable to a ridiculous degree but let's call it what it is.

12. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Who says you have to watch a transcoded program within 30 days, isn't that only once it's copied to a portable device?

I have a 1TB drive on mine, and have GenieGo transcode just about everything that we record. That way if we want to take some movie or show that we haven't watched yet it's already to download in a few minutes.

13. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    One busy GenieGo!

14. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Given the figure of 700MB - 1GB per hour of programming, even your garden variety 500GB drive would give you 500-600 hours of programming. Now, keep in mind an average person is awake about 480 hours in a 30-day period. How could you possibly watch that much programming before its 30 day expiration?

Also keeping in mind that it transcodes in real time, in order to fill that drive it would need to be transcoding almost constantly.

I mean it's great that the thing is expandable to a ridiculous degree but let's call it what it is.

also let's not forget that most mobile devices (tablets, smartphones) don't have that much memory to hold that much content

15. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY

also let's not forget that most mobile devices (tablets, smartphones) don't have that much memory to hold that much content

16. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY

17. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    You didn't have to say it three times!

But my 128Gb iPad can carry more than any of us can watch!

18. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    You didn't have to say it three times!

But my 128Gb iPad can carry more than any of us can watch!

opps, there must been a glitch. 128GB is "nothing" once you start downloading apps, documents, pictures, music. I have a 64GB iPad and I have 5GB left for "everything else"

19. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Like RAD said, you want enough storage to provide choice of what you want to watch when you want to take it with you, especially when there may be multiple Genie client users in the home with different tastes. For some households that's 16GB, for other households it's more.

20. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    The 30 day expiration is only for recordings on the portable device. They will stay on the internal drive/USB drive of the Nomad/Genie Go as long as they are still on your DVR. I have some transcoded recordings on my Nomad from over a year ago because they are still on my DVR also.

I have my Nomad set up to automatically transcode every TV show that I record. So as soon as an episode is done recording the Nomad starts transcoding it. Then whenever I am getting ready to go somewhere I start up the Nomad app on my iPad and everything is already transcoded and waiting for me, so I just have to choose whatever recordings I want to take with me and tell them to transfer to my iPad. I can usually transfer about 20 hours worth of recordings to my iPad in around an hour while I am getting packed up etc.