1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

GenieGO instead of NFL ST streaming?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by itzme, Jun 25, 2013.

1. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    Can GenieGo be setup to accomplish the same benefit as, and instead of, the live streaming feature of Sunday Ticket Max? For example, if I had to leave my house over a Sunday, could I set up a GenieGo to watch my teams games? Can that be setup from outside the house? I understand GenieGo may not be able to do live streaming, but can it maybe stream with a slight delay?

2. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    GenieGo (formerly nomad) will eventually be allowed to allow live streaming of DVR recordings. So, I believe you could set a game to record and then use the GenieGo to live stream it to a device outside the home.

3. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    Thanks. I'm wondering what the pros and cons would be. Issues like HD, pause, ff, convenience, things I may not have thought of.

4. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Live streaming will be launching on 6/27. However, the GenieGo would not stream/download NFLST games.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Using a dedicated streaming device (Monsoon or Sling) is an option if your Internet uplink is robust enough.

It seems likely that if they offer a additional cost streaming option, the Genie Go probably won't duplicate it for free.

6. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Is the issue that the GenieGo won't stream/download NFLST games...or DVR's can't record them?

7. gpg

gpg DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Aug 19, 2006
    Long Island
    DVRs can record NFLST games, but GenieGo won't transcode or stream them.

8. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Is the issue that the GenieGo won't stream/download NFLST games...or DVR's can't record them?

is a DirecTV restriction, perhaps due to contracts....

9. Mike_TV

Mike_TV Legend

Jan 17, 2006
    Yes. Others have reported failures of Nomad/GenieGo to transcode sports and VOD in the past. We've asked for a simple notification in the GUI for shows that will never transcode but that has never happened. Users are left guessing why things don't work and then just get frustrated.

10. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You can transcode your locally available games and nationally broadcasted games, but GenieGo won't transcode the out of market games.

11. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    You can transcode your locally available games and nationally broadcasted games, but GenieGo won't transcode the out of market games.

The GenieGo will transcode any game that is broadcast on any of the "regular" satellite channels, games on special subscription such as NFL ST and the like, not so much

12. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    To be honest, if you're really looking for a live streaming solution I'd vote for Sling over GenieGo. With Sling you have the ability for the system to dynamically adjust the picture quality to match the bandwidth available where with GenieGo it's fixed to the same PQ that it would used for transcoding recordings.

13. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    To be honest, if you're really looking for a live streaming solution I'd vote for Sling over GenieGo. With Sling you have the ability for the system to dynamically adjust the picture quality to match the bandwidth available where with GenieGo it's fixed to the same PQ that it would used for transcoding recordings.

which for me is a plus. the picture is good as it is, and since it does not require internet connection is always the same. Outside of network streaming will be adaptive

14. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    So you're saying that GenieGo out of home streaming will be adaptive like Sling is now?

15. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    So you're saying that GenieGo out of home streaming will be adaptive like Sling is now?

Yes

16. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    So it GenieGo can do on the fly streaming with better PQ then the transcoded file then it has now, does that mean there will be a change in transcoding speed making it faster? It would make sense if the hardware can do that in real time then why couldn't it do it for transcoding so it's not 1:1 as it is now.

17. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    Since I haven't seen either technologies (sling or geniego), and since GenieGo seems to be on the verge of evolving, I'm appreciating this conversation between Rad and peds48. Keep going, we're listening... :)

18. mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    +!

19. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    So it GenieGo can do on the fly streaming with better PQ then the transcoded file then it has now, does that mean there will be a change in transcoding speed making it faster? It would make sense if the hardware can do that in real time then why couldn't it do it for transcoding so it's not 1:1 as it is now.

AFAIK, the picture (outside streaming) will be the same as it is now(transcoding), which is very good for the smartphones and decent for laptops. Note that there is no app for tablets as of yet. The adaptive will come into place where you are streaming with poor WiFi coverage, note I said WiFi as the outside streaming will only work on WiFi on initial release. Transcoding process will remain the same, but you now have the ability to start the transcoding process "on the go"

20. itzme

itzme Hall Of Fame

Jan 17, 2008
    I didn't know about the lack of tablet apps. Price is also a factor. I've heard of folks getting GenieGo very cheap from DTV. slings look costly, especially for an occasional user. In the ideal world, we'd be able to play or stream all DTV content, AND maybe even airplay mirror it from an Ipad at a vacation house's TV.