1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

GenieGo Live Streaming Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by hookemfins, Sep 28, 2013.

1. hookemfins

hookemfins DIRECTV A-Team

Jul 3, 2007
    Miami
    I have been attempting to watch a couple of live games, NCAA FF or NASCAR. I started both from the beginning of the buffer but it won't allow me to fast forward to live of either. To me streaming live means live events as they happen, or close to it. My main reason for getting GenieGo was for the purpose of streaming and watching live sporting events when I am not near a TV. Did miss understand this?

Hope not. Tomorrow where I'm eating lunch will have all football and won't change a TV to NASCAR. While I love the NFL, I'd like to also watch the race. From the newly installed HR44-700 I frequently get "your HD DVR is currently busy and cannot support streaming....(HTTP/408).

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    The GenieGo can't stream live shows. It only streams shows that have been recorded to one of your DVRs at home. I don't think I've seen it advertised/listed as streaming live shows.

But you can start watching right after it starts recording. There is going to be a slight delay, but if you're at a place without NASCAR being broadcast, how are you going to know what the delay is? And does it matter?

3. hookemfins

Jul 3, 2007
    Miami
    It's advertised as GenieGo Stream LIVE Shows Instantly so I would assume you could start the recording and fast forward your way to end of what has been recorded to that point.

I'll know because I will have been watching to that point. The streaming starts from the beginning of the buffer. Unless there was a setup issue, when it starts I am forced to watch from the beginning with only being able to pause.

I told the CSR my intent and was led down the garden path.

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Link please.

5. hookemfins

Jul 3, 2007
    Miami
    http://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4009/~/geniego™-quick-tip%3Astream-shows-instantly

No matter what, I'd be happy if I could use full FF, RW or 30 sec replay with the instant download like on a completed recording.

If it's impossible then I'll return the GenieGo and chalk it up to a misunderstanding.

Sorry if I seem cranky about this but I'm also having problems with the HR44. The DVR freezes to the point where I cannot use the remote at all. I can watch whichever channel is on but that's all. Rebooting is the only fix. So between that and this misunderstanding with GenieGo......

6. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Something isn't working right with your HR44 then. Maybe you could start a new thread posting your setup and problems. You cold also do it in the "Ask VOS" thread. He usually sorts everyone's issues out.

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Thanks for that link. I had not seen 'live' anywhere before.

Sounds like a Slingbox device might be better for your needs.

8. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    You are correct, there is no trick play when streaming, only when playing back a show that has been downloaded to your device

on another note, on the link you posted, it does not say "GenieGo Stream LIVE Shows Instantly" but rather "Set your HD DVR to record a LIVE movie or a show."

9. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Step 1 says that, but the title/subtitle of the page says that. See screen capture attached.

Attached Files:

10. hookemfins

Jul 3, 2007
    Miami
    But when the title (or sub title) says "GenieGO™ Quick Tip: Stream LIVE Shows Instantly" makes it extremely misleading. I think it borders on false advertising.

11. tpm1999

tpm1999 Legend

Sep 5, 2006
    That is some very deceptive language. Their marketing department should change that ASAP.

12. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    That's what marketing departments do, and sometimes it gets ugly.

But to be clear on what is and isn't: You cannot FF or RW on a show that is being streamed, and IIRC, if you lose connection and go back to the program you were streaming, you'll start at the beginning. Not cool, but that's the way it is.

13. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    For an extended program, I'll often set a manual recording for each hour . . and as soon as it shows up in the playlist (usually 3-4 minutes), I can start watching it OOH and still be only a few minutes behind live.

14. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Nice kludge!

15. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Is there a difference between streaming on your home network and OOH? I can use the slider when streaming at home.

16. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Apparently there is! I've streamed at home only long enough to see I can do it. Tried OoH long enough to find I couldn't FF on the streaming. Thanks for the correction!

17. hookemfins

Jul 3, 2007
    Miami
    I can't FF at home and I have not had the chance try OoH yet. But the tech screwed something up in the system. I have no ability to stream from HR44.

18. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Wasn't a correction. We use the Watch Now frequently (wife sets her iPad up on the kitchen counter sometimes when cooking). So I'm familiar with that. Haven't used the OOH really except the first day I set it up. Most of the hotels I end up staying in have crappy WiFi. (I have my own HotSpot, but that is the company's and I'd rather not rack up data so I can watch my TV.).

19. Wyannuzzi

Wyannuzzi Cool Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Shavertown PA
    One daughter has MacBook Pro, other daughter has windows 7. Both are having the following issue trying to do OOH streaming.

1/3 of time no issues can stream fine
    1/3 of time streaming starts and after a while gets optimizing for video quality and app shuts down after a few minutes
    1/3 of time goes right to optimizing for video quality and app shuts down after a few minutes

Any ideas? D* support believes it is a device issue not a geniego issue.

20. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    My guess it's an upstreaming problem..... What's your upload speed?