1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

GenieGo not writing to SD card

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by anex80, Jun 21, 2014.

1. anex80

anex80 Legend

Jul 29, 2005
    Midwest
    My wife just bought a Samsung Galaxy S5 and I tried setting it up with Genie Go and had a lot of issues. After several reboots, reloads, and red-button resets I finally got it to work but now I'm having an issue getting it to save shows to to the SD card. I'm able to point the app to the card with no problem but when I try downloading a program it just stays stuck on " waiting to download" . I'm able to to download just fine to local storage and was able to use the SD card with no issues in her previous phone, a Samsung Note 2.

Has anyone else had issues with using GenieGo in this device or saving programs to their SD cards? My wife uses her GenieGo a LOT so if we can't get this to work she'll probably exchange it for a different phone.

2. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    IIRC, this has to do with the newer OS running on the S5. DirecTV will have to update the app to be compatible

3. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    The app shouldn't install on an unsupported OS. They must be doing an "or higher" test of the OS version - a dangerous thing to do on Android.

4. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I've seen some other reports of folks on Kit Kat with the same SD card issue. And whenI updated a S4 to Kit Kat, it destroyed my own card, not related to GenieGO.
    On Android forums there are other comments about SD card issues with KK.

In other words, KK has some unique changes to the file structure and GenieGO will need an update.

5. prushing

prushing DIRECTV A-Team

Feb 14, 2007
    This is a Google issue. I found it out the hard way and would not have updated if I had known. I don't see Google changing it as they have locked down the sd card where apps cannot write to it unless they rewrite their code. It was done for security reasons, but it would have been nice if they told people about it.

DTV has been slow to update the app, so who knows when/if it gets fixed. You can change the permissions to allow writing, but you need to be rooted and then you have to deal with the app not running on rooted.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

6. Diana C

Diana C Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Mar 30, 2007
    New Jersey
    Unless they have changed it, the DirecTV app "detects" that the phone is rooted by looking for the superuser executable. If you remove the executable the app runs without an issue on a rooted phone. I haven't bothered to root my current phone (an HTC Droid DNA) but did root my last one and this worked fine. It is easy enough to restore superuser when you're done.

7. anex80

anex80 Legend

Jul 29, 2005
    Midwest
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I was able to track this down on a different forum and it appears to be working successfully!!

1. Start up GenieGO on the Android
    2. Go to Settings (Gear icon in upper right)
    3. Select Storage location
    4. Custom Storage location.
    5. Press 'up one level' until the path shown on the top of the screen (under the 'Home' button) just says /storage.
    6. Choose extSdCard
    7. (AND THIS IS IMPORTANT): You should then navigate to Android/data/com.directv.application.android.go.production
    8 And finally choose the directory 'files'
    9. Press OK
    10. It should return you to the 'Custom storage location' and show the free space you have on your SD Card.

Now, when you download any shows, they should download to the SD card.
    IT IS IMPORTANT that you choose that directory, and not any other. It will allow you to select any directory, but only that one works.

2 people like this.
  8. prushing

prushing DIRECTV A-Team

Feb 14, 2007
    Thanks for that tip. It looks like it is working for me as it created the folders and DB that it uses. Just won't be able to confirm until I get back home later in the week.

Even though I don't use my phone much, it was a pain to always have to use my tablet.

9. lmurphy

lmurphy Legend

Jul 25, 2004
    anex80, thanks that worked like a charm!!!!! I was having the exact same problem with my Samsung tablet Note 8 and my Samsung Galaxy S5 they both work excellent now. THANKS again.

10. Blackfoot_Bandit

Blackfoot_Bandit Mentor

Sep 8, 2007
    THANK YOU! I just received a 32Gb SD Card as a gift and was loading it up with shows for a trip. I couldn't figure out why everything was stuck on "Waiting to Download."