1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

GenieGo Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Wyannuzzi, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Wyannuzzi

Wyannuzzi Cool Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Shavertown PA
    If I get GenieGo and activate it from my pc/iphone, will my daughter be able to register her macbook pro from college (5 hours away) or does the device being registered have to be on the home wireless network to register it?

Also, I have the cinema connection kit. Does it matter if I connect the GenieGo to the CCK or directly to the router? Is one better than the other?

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    It has to be at home. And if you want to copy transcoded material to her device, it has to at home also. Once activated, she can do the OOH without any problems. My daughter is using her iPad under the same situation.

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    it needs to be connected directly to your router

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

4. Wyannuzzi

Wyannuzzi Cool Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Shavertown PA
    Thanks peds48 and trh for the quick replies. One more question, I read the 18 page thread on genie go and someone mentioned only one device can stream at a time. I know you are limited to 5 devices but is it true only one device can stream at a time. I have 2 daughters away at college and both would want to stream, probably at same time on occasion.

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    With transcoding and downloading recordings to a device, the GenieGo can only do one at a time.

But I don't know if that applies to OOH viewing.

6. Wyannuzzi

Wyannuzzi Cool Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Shavertown PA
    Thanks again for quick reply. I'm hoping OOH can be done via streaming at same time.

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Someone else will have to answer the OOH question.

Two other suggestions if you get the GenueGo:

Depending on their viewing habits, install a larger USB drive on the GenieGo. I installed a 32gb pen drive that I had, but that may need to be replaced as I seem to be running low on space.
    Your daughters will need the DirecTV app that allows them to schedule recordings remotely. That way if they don't have a Series Link setup, they can start recording a show from college, and then start watching it via OOH minutes later

And you'll want to set up some method of them cleaning up the shows they've already watched. Or get a much larger external drive.

8. Wyannuzzi

Wyannuzzi Cool Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Shavertown PA
    Thanks for the tips TRH. If I don't download to the GenieGo but use it for OOH only, does OOH actually use the GenieGo disk space?

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You can only stream to one device at a time, whether it is in-home or OOH. With streaming, you are basically having the GenieGo download the show and transcode it on the spot and then stream it to you. The GenieGo can only transcode 1 thing at a time.

OOH does use the disk space in the sense that the show is being downloaded and transcoded as it is being played back, but it is not saving the entire show on the GenieGo itself.

- Merg

10. Wyannuzzi

Wyannuzzi Cool Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Shavertown PA
    Thanks for the info Merg, and it stinks that you can only stream on one device at a time.

11. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yup. And just to clarify, if a show is currently being streamed, you cannot have the GenieGo transcode another show for download to a device either.

- Merg

12. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    But if a show has already been transcoded, the Genie Go can transfer to three devices at a time. I've never tested it, but it should also work for streaming pre-transcoded content as well.

13. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yup. But in this particular case, the daughters are way and so can't download only stream

14. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    That's a good question... I assume that would be the case. I'll try to give it a test.

- Merg

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I'm with Peds here: you can't remotely download a transcode.

16. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    My question is if the streaming limitation is from transcoding or just software? If it's from transcoding, then you should be able to remotely stream prepared content to more than one device (assuming you have sufficient outbound bandwidth).

I know you can't remotely download but why (at least technically) wouldn't you be able to remotely stream to more than one device?

17. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    That's a good question... I assume that would be the case. I'll try to give it a test.

- Merg

Just checked... Only one device can stream at a time even if the shows are already transcoded.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

18. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Well, that answers that. Thanks for checking Merg!

19. Wyannuzzi

Wyannuzzi Cool Member

Feb 11, 2012
    Shavertown PA
    Hi, just got Genie Go set up with the help of case management. The women I spoke with mentioned that devices get deactivated after 30 days after the last access to home network. Essentially my daughter that is 5 hours away at college with only be able to use it for 30 days after she returns to school. She suggested that I have her PC fedexed to me to reactivate and send back to her every month. Is this true, if so it may be going back since I got if basically for my daughters?

20. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I've never heard that before.

However, there is a 30-day rule with regards to the GenieGo. If you download a recording to a device, the recording is only good for 30 days on that device. After the 30 days, it will list the recording as being Expired. If you want to watch that recording, you need to delete it from your device and re-download it from the GenieGo (as long as it is still on the GenieGo--it hasn't been deleted from the DVR), for which you need to be on the home network to perform the download. If your daughter is just going to use the GenieGo in order to stream recorded content, she shouldn't have a problem.

- Merg