1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

GenieGo Really Fast Downloads?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Hotelone, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Hotelone

Hotelone Cool Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Central...
    Hi All;

I just got a GenieGo yesterday after catching up with these CH threads and I noticed something apparently odd, but good. Most of the I read posts here referred to the encoding and downloading an HD show as taking about as long as the show is long. But both times I downloaded hour long HD a show to my iPad I sat and watched them download and they each took only two to three minutes and viewed well at HD. Are the long downloads I read about when you're OOH? What did I mis-understand? TIA

2. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    The process of getting a program on from the DVR to the Genie Go (transcoding) happens in real time. The process of sending the transcoded program from the Genie Go to your device takes a couple minutes. So, it does take a "long" time to move content to the Genie Go but after that, the process is pretty quick as you have noticed.

3. Hotelone

Hotelone Cool Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Central...
    So the GenieGo transcodes everything in advance that's on both playlists? I just randomly chose two programs and they where in my "On My iPad" section and ready to view in three minutes. Does the GenieGo transcode each show as they're recorded to DVR's? Thanks for the info.

4. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    No, you need to tell GenieGo which programs you want to be transcoded, it doesn't just automatically do everything that's on your HD DVR.

5. Hotelone

Hotelone Cool Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Central...
    Odd, but I now see what you mean. I'm downloading a third show and after about two minutes of "Waiting To Prepare" the screen now says "Preparing" with an estimated time of twenty-five minutes to go for a thirty minute show. I must have earlier chosen the other two shows somehow. Thanks for the info.

6. Hotelone

Hotelone Cool Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Central...
    Possibly unconnected to this topic, does the show continue to Prepare/Download when the app is quit? I assume it continues to "prepare" in the Genie, then downloads the next time you launch the app? Maybe I selected them and they transcoded last night and they downloaded to the app this morning...

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    So the GenieGo transcodes everything in advance that's on both playlists? I just randomly chose two programs and they where in my "On My iPad" section and ready to view in three minutes. Does the GenieGo transcode each show as they're recorded to DVR's? Thanks for the info.

If you set up the series the show is from as an Auto-Download, the GenieGo will automatically transcode all episodes from that series. For example, I set up via the PC GenieGo app for all my shows to Auto-Download. I don't actually download to the PC, but all the shows get transcoded then and I can download them at any time to my iPad without having to wait for them to be transcoded first.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Possibly unconnected to this topic, does the show continue to Prepare/Download when the app is quit? I assume it continues to "prepare" in the Genie, then downloads the next time you launch the app? Maybe I selected them and they transcoded last night and they downloaded to the app this morning...

Yes. Whatever device you started the prep on, when you launch the app it will ask if you want to download the show.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

9. Hotelone

Hotelone Cool Member

Feb 18, 2008
    Central...
    I got it now, thanks everybody!