1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

GenieGO Remote Streaming

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Scott Kocourek, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Jun 25, 2013 #1 of 360
    Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek DIRECTV A-Team

Jun 13, 2009
    I remember back a few years to October 6, 2010 when I was asked to take a survey from DIRECTV and it was for a product called Nomad. I was excited to hear what was coming and it started this discussion: DIRECTV Nomad

[​IMG]

Well, that last line from the quote has made me laugh a little ever since I made it. The Nomad, now GenieGO, was released to those with an iPhone or PC and it seemed like forever before there was any love for the Android folks, but that time finally came at the end of May 2013 for some Android devices. Things now seem to be moving a little quicker and DIRECTV is ready to release something we've all been wanting from the beginning, remote streaming. If you have a PC or iPhone, you will be able to watch anything that is recorded on your internet connected HDDVR or Genie from your WiFi connected device. If the program is not already recorded on you Genie or HDDVR you can start the recording using the DIRECTV app and it will be available for streaming as soon as it shows in you list, even while it's recording.

[​IMG]

Another new feature of the GenieGO/Nomad is the ability to select shows to prepare for download while you are away so they are ready to download to your device when you get home. I even learned recently that you could download shows on up to three devices at the same time. This is a great feature if you are not sure what device you will want to watch your show on, you can put it on you tablet, laptop or phone all at the same time.

[​IMG]

There will be a few minutes of setup the first time you attempt the GenieGO Out-of-Home access. First select "GenieGO Out-of Home Access" and follow the instructions. For most users this will be mostly automatic and will take no technical ability. You will then be prompted to confirm access for each device you will want "Out-of-Home Access"

[​IMG]

New GenieGO manual is available here: The new DTV manual for the GenieGo is at http://www.directv.com/cms2/technology/nomad/GenieGO_Manual.pdf

GenieGO Out-of Home is expected to be available for Mac and Android devices later this year but as always will not work with Jailbroken or Rooted devices.
    [​IMG]

2. Jun 26, 2013 #2 of 360
    Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    This is expected to be available Thursday, June 27, 2013.

3. Jun 26, 2013 #3 of 360
    willardcpa

willardcpa Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    So, here on the west coast, I'll be looking for it at 9pm local!!!! :righton:

4. Jun 26, 2013 #4 of 360
    peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The GenieGo should have already received the update. DirecTV has control to put the updated PC version on their website, not so much for the iOS client.

5. Jun 26, 2013 #5 of 360
    tulanejosh

tulanejosh Godfather

May 23, 2008
    does this product feature live streaming - similar to Directv Anywhere - as well? Does it work on a mobile data connection or only WiFi?

6. Jun 26, 2013 #6 of 360
    peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    does this product feature live streaming - similar to Directv Anywhere - as well? Does it work on a mobile data connection or only WiFi?

Not it wont. but can however "live" stream a show by using the scheduler app to set the recording then switch to the GenieGo app (Nomad) and play it from there. as of lunch, it will only support WiFi

7. Jun 26, 2013 #7 of 360
    don s

don s Mentor

Sep 4, 2011
    Very nice, thanks !! I may have to go order a GenieGO now. This actually sounds useful. The wonky "live streaming" workaround doesn't sound too bad as long as it works too. Thanks for the info !

8. Jun 27, 2013 #8 of 360
    willardcpa

willardcpa Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    I see that they have a procedure explained on the DTV website under the "answer center" for setting up port forwarding on your router to enable "streaming recorded shows outside my home". But apparently the app is still waiting for an update as the last step in the procedure is to go into "settings" and select "geniego outside of home access" and that's not an option yet in "settings"
    It's here http://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3875

9. Jun 27, 2013 #9 of 360
    Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Ohh... can't wait for tomorrow!! :)

10. Jun 27, 2013 #10 of 360
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Although I think the recent Engadget article on this has it wrong;
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/26/directv-geniego-live-streaming-tv-anywhere/

Even with this update GenieGo is not a challenge (yet?) to the Slingbox as it doesn't allow remote streaming of programs over the internet.

The author must be confusing the new "GenieGO Out-of Home Access" feature which only allows the remote readying of shows for download when you return home with the ability to stream shows over the internet.

11. Jun 27, 2013 #11 of 360
    willardcpa

willardcpa Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    With all due respect. I THINK thay you have it wrong - after tomorrows update to the Nomad, it will allow remote streaming of recorded programs over the internet. And the "out of home access" will not "allows readying of shows for download when you return home" It will allow for streaming of recorded shows to you when you are not home. I don't think that it will provide you with an interface to "readying of shows for download", I think it will just allow you to stream what is already on the nomad, not add new ones to it, you have to be "home" to do that. At least that's the way I understand it, and I've been reading the new manual that DTV has that includes the "out of home access" feature and how to set it up on page 12 of the manual. But I could be wrong - we'll both see tomorrow!!!! :righton:

12. Jun 27, 2013 #12 of 360
    willardcpa

willardcpa Legend

Jun 5, 2007
    Eugene, OR
  13. Jun 27, 2013 #13 of 360
    HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Fair enough;

But if so it won't be me who is wrong but the TS, Scott who wrote in the description above in the first post;

14. Jun 27, 2013 #14 of 360
    tpm1999

tpm1999 Legend

Sep 5, 2006
    With remote online streaming I am finally going to buy a GenieGo (Nomad)!!! I do have some questions though.

1. I have an HR44. So in practice I can connect my GenieGo directly to my router while my HR44 connects to it over Wifi (HR44 is currently connected over wifi). The GenieGo does not physically connect to the DVR, correct (I see an ethernet port on its back and a usb port on pictures online)?

2. Since I have a Genie, utilizing the Nomad will take up one of the tuners correct? Is that at all times, or only when I am streaming/downloading?

3. When is a native iPad app coming out?? Any general time frame...or to the very least is directv testing it now? I can deal with an old misbranded iPhone app for now...but they should really at least update the app to have the correct name.

4. Do I need to activate it by calling up Directv? Or is it just plug it in and activate it with the app? I would prefer to buy it online from a reseller (like solidsignal or ebay).

15. Jun 27, 2013 #15 of 360
    Scott Kocourek

Jun 13, 2009
    :)

16. Jun 27, 2013 #16 of 360
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    1. You hook the nomad to your router.
    2. The nomad does not use one of your tuners.
    3. No idea, but I use my iPad just fine with the current app.
    4. Yes, you must call to get it activated on your account, but you can still buy it from 3rd party dealers. Last I checked, SolidSignal sells them for $99. Some have reported delays in getting a used nomad activated on their account; so you might only want to buy a new unit.

17. Jun 27, 2013 #17 of 360
    dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    GenieGo doesn't take up any tuners. It does busy out a stream from an HR while transcoding or streaming.

18. Jun 27, 2013 #18 of 360
    Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    It will allow you to schedule new shows for download when "out of home". It will not let you remotely copy the transcoded files to your client, however. You must be home for that. Only OOH (and local) streaming is supported at this time.

19. Jun 27, 2013 #19 of 360
    gpg

gpg DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Aug 19, 2006
    Long Island
    So do I have to download a new PC app or will the old one automatically update?

20. Jun 27, 2013 #20 of 360
    Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    The new GenieGo app update is available now in the App Store...