1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

GenieGo - Start Up Time

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by shaka999, Sep 19, 2013.

1. shaka999

shaka999 Cool Member

Dec 12, 2005
    I'm curious, for all you genieGo users, how long does your device take, after selecting the app, before you can watch shows that are on the device?

On my iPhone 5 it seems to take forever. First it logs in...minutes. Then it has to verify the iphone...minutes. Right now I'm stuck, again, on "checking for updates".

What is taking so long? I'm trying to watch content that is on my phone. What happens it it can' verify your phone or doesn't have a network connection? This is ridiculous.

Thanks
    Brad

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Items that already on the device? Less than 30 seconds before the menu comes up. Probably 15 seconds for it to optimize the video that I selected.

Have you changed your DirecTV.com account password recently?

3. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Yup, in less than a minute I can be watching

4. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I don't know why it's taking so long, unless you are Out of Home.
    But to answer your question, to watch content already stored on your device, it will be much faster if you just turn on airplane mode so all wireless is off and you will get to the content very quickly. Assuming it was at home and connected in the past 30 days.

5. shaka999

shaka999 Cool Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Thanks for the replies.

Yes I am out of home but the content is on the device. I did recently reset my router so the port forwarding could be messed up but I don't know why matter for already downloaded content.

Good to know others aren't seeing this so I probably just have to change my setup somehow....

6. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Do what NR4P suggested. Put your device in airplane mode. See if that speeds it up.

7. shaka999

shaka999 Cool Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Using airplane mode makes it almost instant. Good to know. I'd like to see them make downloaded content always come up this way. They could negotiate and sync with the home device in the background and bring that up when connection is made....

Thanks again.

8. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    You still have an issue though. Did it ever get logged in? And have you changed your DirecTV password ( and not changed it on the App?)

When you get home and if it is still taking a long time, I'd uninstall the App from the phone and reinstall.