1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Get Detroit off of Thanksgiving Day NFL

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by Msguy, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    The NFL needs to use the Flex Scheduling to put a few more meaningful games on Thanksgiving Day. The Dallas vs Seattle matchup is a mismatch this year as well.

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    While I was in the "get Detroit off Thanksgiving Day" camp myself... after a little education on the history of why they have the game... I'm inclined to say it would be unfair to take it away from them since if it weren't for them starting the game on Thanksgiving back in the day (before it even was televised) then it wouldn't be a tradition.

I think the fair compromise has been the NFL Network 3rd game Thanksgiving night, which will not exactly flex based upon the season but will not feature a locked-in team like the two day games do with Detroit and Dallas.

3. jclewter79

jclewter79 Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2008
    Yes, Dallas invented the Thanksgiving day game, that is why they are America's Team. It is tradition that you watch Detroit get beat while you are eating and Dallas win while you are napping.

4. tcusta00

tcusta00 New Member

Dec 31, 2007
    Detroit should auction off their "rights" to the Thanksgiving Day game and use the proceeds to buy some better players. Or coaching. Or pay down the loan on Ford Field so they can afford more of the aforementioned accesories most pro football teams relish. :lol:

5. koji68

koji68 Icon

Jun 21, 2004
    Get your story straight. Dallas started to play on Thanksgiving Day in 1966. Detroit started in 1934.

On getting other teams that day, I'm all for it but Detroit is not going to give up OUR tradition. For crying out loud! That's the only thing we have left! :lol: But really :(

6. koji68

koji68 Icon

Jun 21, 2004
    Oh, money is not a problem. The Lions is the only money making business that the Fords have now. Even with the crappy teams that we had since ... ever, Ford field has been sold out for all the games since 2002 except 2 this season and they were close to being sold out.

So they have the money, where are the ideas? How can so many good players and coaches come by and stink up the place. They had Jeff Garcia crying! Barry Sanders retired because he saw that there was no way that he could win a SuperBowl with that organization. That tells you something. They were talking that we could get Matt Cassel since he'll be a free agent next year. Run Matt run.

7. dshu82

dshu82 Icon

Jul 6, 2007
    While there was no way of knowing when the schedules were made, the matchups yesterday were terrible..... had me searching the movie channels for something else to watch.

The Texas and Texas A&M matchup was as advertised too.....

8. WoofusMaximus

WoofusMaximus Cool Member

Jul 22, 2008
    True. I think this is OK. There is something to be said for tradition.

FWIW, I did like the Detroit game - if not simply because they are keeping up the fight for the 0-fer season as they should. Plus, the (lack of) performance got me out to take a nice walk earlier before Thanksgiving dinner...

(disclosure: every season I root for at least one team to go 0-fer for the season. I thought Cincinnati was on their way, then they had to screw up and win - and don't get me started on that Miami/Baltimore game last year....)

WoofusMaximus

9. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    All 3 games were turds yesterday, but the Lions were the only home team to get routed. Time for a change IMO.

10. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    I'd rather watch the turkey cook in the oven for hours than watch Detroit play a football game on Thanksgiving ! <lol>

11. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    No matter their record, it's Tradition.

Besides, any given Sunday* right?

*with the possible exception of the Lions

12. Supervolcano

Supervolcano Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2007
    It's so amusing listening to incorrect facts being tossed around the internet.
    :lol:
    You guys want to know who REALLY invented Thanksgiving Day pro football?
    Check out the pro football hall of fame website.
    ;)
    http://www.profootballhof.com/history/stats/thanksgiving.jsp

The 1920 Decatur Staleys moved from Decatur, IL to Chicago, IL in 1921.
    The 1921 Chicago Staleys were renamed as the Chicago Bears in 1922.

The Staleys (Bears) played in the first 14 Thanksgiving Day games (1920-1933), 12 of which were against the Chicago Cardinals (which to this day are the only 2 charter members of the NFL who still exist).

For more about the Decatur Staleys and the Chicago Cardinals.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Bears
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_Cardinals

Why did Detroit play that 1934 game instead of the Cardinals in the first place?
    http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?cont_id=147421

They were playing the Chicago Bears to decide the champion of the Western Division (and of course Da Bears won).

In summary, if you REALLY want to celebrate a "tradition".

Maybe the Chicago Bears should play the Arizona Cardinals every Thanksgiving, like they did from 1922-1933.

Celebrating AND RENEWING the rivalry of the only 2 charter members left in the NFL seems like a wonderful idea to little ole me.

13. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Didn't the 'America's Team' BS come from some reporter back in the '70s.

14. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    The Lions and Dallas games should be inter- division games. It will create a better match ups

15. Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA Icon

Jan 10, 2008
    It's one of the biggest reasons why I root against Dallas all year (well, except when they play the Redskins...) And, in the interest of full disclosure, I am a NY Giants fan.

16. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    but its true....the 3 highest rated super bowls over the last 21 years all included the cowboys....coincidence....i think not.

17. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    When did the Cowboys run for that office ? I didn't vote for them or the Atlanta Braves who made that claim too !

18. cdizzy

cdizzy Icon

Jul 29, 2007
    Dallas and Detroit should just play each other on thanksgiving. That would solve half of the problem. :lol:

19. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Thanks for the additional history... I think the real measuring stick here is asking vs taking away.

IF the league asked Detroit if they wanted to change things up, and Detroit agreed... then that would be fine.... but I wouldn't be in favor of just taking it away from them.

Sounds like the Chicago/Arizona thing just voluntarily went away and then Detroit established a new history. It's not like Detroit came in and took something away from those other teams.

That said... Maybe the NFL could at least try to get creative every once in a while with the matchups. As one person noted, why not a Dallas vs Detroit matchup sometimes and then they can have a completely different set of teams for the other game.

A Detroit/Chicago game would be a good option to move here too and it would be one that would happen every year anyway and get Chicago back on Thanksgiving. Dallas vs Arizona is on the schedule this year too so that could have happened as well.

There's lots of ways to enhance this thing without taking anything away.

In the meantime, it would be nice if the Detroit ownership/management would get on the stick and turn things around. I miss the good old days where Barry Sanders was around and the game was worth watching even if they lost.

20. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    And I was an idiot and die hard Cowboys fan for those. Then in 1998 or 1999 I finally woke up and realized what a classless organization they were. Now the team is made up of a bunch of overzealous showboaters like Romo, Owens and that bumbling idiot coach we had here that I couldn't stand. I finally got rid of my Aikman jersey a year or two ago.