1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Get Smart

Discussion in 'The Movies' started by bobukcat, Nov 18, 2008.

1. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    Watched it last night on BD and thought it was a really good effort. Carrell is excellent as Max of course and I found myself liking Anne Hathaway as 99 much more than I expected to. There weren't quite enough one-liners from the show in my opinion but a pretty good number of nods to the original overall. I'll be very interested to see if they make a sequel or not.

2. jadebox

jadebox Godfather

Dec 13, 2004
    We watched it on DVD a couple of nights ago. I liked it better than I had anticipated I would. Carrell plays Max more as a "guy in over his head" rather than the always bumbling, self-centered Max of the TV series. So, his character is more likeable, if not quite as funny.

-- Roger

3. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I agree. Much better than I thought it was going to be.

4. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    OK...you guys have talked me into at least renting it to see it now.

When it came out - it appeared just too lame from the previews.....but since I respect your opinions...I'll give it a try.

5. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Any sign of Agent 13?

6. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    Yes it was better than I expected ! But nobody can beat Don Adams at the part !

7. bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    No doubt about that one - but I can't think of anyone else that could pull it off as well as Carrell! As others have said they play him as more of a guy in over his head as opposed to basically incompetent as he was in the TV series. At first this bothered me but as the movie went on I appreciated it. The bit with Bill Murray in the tree cracked me up and made me wonder what was the last major film that Bill was in anyway??

8. jadebox

jadebox Godfather

Dec 13, 2004
    Yes.

-- Roger

9. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Cool, thanks Roger.