1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a new HD receiver

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by vthokies1996, Nov 17, 2010.

1. vthokies1996

vthokies1996 Legend

Oct 6, 2008
    We just purchased a new tv and are moving our old plasma to the basement. Directv is coming out on Saturday to install a new HD receiver, not a DVR.

This may be a dumb question, but does the HD receiver come with an HDMI cable? Just want to check to see if I need to get one before Saturday. I asked the rep when I placed the order but they didn't know.

Thanks

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The receivers themselves do not come with cables anymore, however, if you have a tech perform the install they are supposed to supply whatever cables that you need.

- Merg

3. vthokies1996

vthokies1996 Legend

Oct 6, 2008
    Thanks. They are installing the receiver since I don't have a line there already. Hopefully he brings one.

Thanks

4. kmcnamara

kmcnamara Icon

Jan 30, 2004
    A month ago when DirecTV installed at our house, one of our TV's was an old 19" tube. The installer hooked up the HR24 to it using regular A/V cables but left an HDMI cable sitting next to the TV. I replaced the 19" with a new 32" HDTV last week so that HDMI cable came in handy. :)

5. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    I just picked up 2 new HR24-200s last week from a DirecTV install company's retail business/sales location. They were brown boxed for installer use. They both had an HDMI cable in them.

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Nearly all receivers are packaged in brown boxes now. That in itself doesn't mean anything.

HSPs will use receivers that have "NC" in the part number, such as: HR24-NC500. The "NC" means "no cables".

Retailers will get retail boxes that come with a full set of cables, but those boxes are still brown cardboard, and not the white w/full color printing like the old days.

HSPs also get lots of refurbs, which are in brown cardboard boxes sealed with blue & white "DirecTV" logo tape. These also have no cables other than for power. No BBCs either.

7. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    I'll check my box labels and see what the model says. The boxes did have the blue and white DirecTV logo seals/stickers on them. In fact, they both had 2-sticker-deep labels (one on top of another one). But the units and their packaging otherwise appeared completely new. Manufacture dates of late August as I recall.

8. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The sticker-on-sticker usually means that the box was opened and cables manually added, to turn an "HSP" receiver into a "retail" receiver.

9. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    I think they will but if they don't you can get them real cheap on line. I prefer monoprice.com but even Amazon and others carry low price HDMI cables.

10. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003

The model number on both the boxes is: HR24D-200 They have another small white label indicating they were packed around Sept 21 (I forget the exact date). The standard printing on the brown box itself says the items included are the receiver, access card, manual, and "cables".

11. vthokies1996

vthokies1996 Legend

Oct 6, 2008
    Thanks for the replies. Tech set up outlet to work with the new receiver. Took only 30 min. It came with the HDMI. Very happy.