1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a new roof

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by nmoulton, Apr 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nmoulton

nmoulton Cool Member

Jan 17, 2003
    My house needs a new roof. I was wondering how other people have handled this, the part about remounting and aiming the dish, that is. Will Dish Network have someone come out and re-aim it? Will I have to pay to have this done?

-Norm

2. jaschier

jaschier Mentor

Mar 28, 2005
    If you want dish to reinstall it, its $99, even if you are dhp or dhpp, b/c its considered an install. you do it yourself i know how to repoint it, or you can have a local installer do it and set their own price.

3. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Which ever way you decide, now would be a great time for you to relocate your dish if possible. You don't want to be putting holes through your brand new roof if you don't have to.

4. nmoulton

nmoulton Cool Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Well, I would want to mount the dish back exactly where it is now, on the new roof. I'm assuming the best way is to remove the dish, replace the roof, including the part under the dish mounting hardware, and then reinstall the dish. It is a low roof, over the garage. I'm not going to try aiming myself because I tried that once helping a friend and found it's not so easy, we just couldn't do it. What about if I remounted the dish, and called dish to have them just aim it. Still $100 for this?
    BTW, I'm not any Dish home maintanance plan.

5. FTA Michael

FTA Michael Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2002
    I had a similar experience. There's no way around the $100 service call unless you do it yourself.

So I did it myself, and it worked! Even though I am definitely not a do-it-yourself type, I figured I could give it a shot, then call Dish for the same $100 service call if it didn't work out.

What I discovered is that most of the work has been done for you already. The switches and cables are in place. The dish is pointed correctly, relative to its mount and the roof angle. If you leave all that intact, then reinstall it yourself on the new roof, it's mostly a matter of making sure it still lines up. Get someone on a cell phone to watch the signal strength on the TV while you get it right, and there you have it!

6. jaschier

jaschier Mentor

Mar 28, 2005
    You could do that as well, remount it and have someone come out and aim it, and get it for the $29 price if you sign up for dhpp. You just have to make sure that all the wiring and mounting is done or the tech will want to change the work order to an install which would be $99 even w/ dhpp.

7. pomeroy

pomeroy Legend

Jan 2, 2005
    Heres a idea before they replace the roof
    take a tape measure and get a good idea of where the dish is at on your roof, then when they replace it you can go back with your measurements and put it back up your self and save $100

Another idea you could get the roofers to put it back up for you! They could do the measurements and put it back up for free! sence its there fault for taken it down :)

8. parlyle

parlyle AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 19, 2003
    This is what I did when I took the dish off the roof. I got an 8 foot composite post and set it in cement 4 feet down. Then I had a friend of mine construct the planter/shrine around it. A real conversation piece around the neighborhood.

Attached Files:

9. normang

normang Icon

Nov 14, 2002
    I would measure to get locations to get the dish mounted in the same location. If you re-mount and find that your signal is low or off....

You have two choices, the $100 service call, or you can spend about $20-25 for a satellite finder meter. (I've seen them in Menard's and Lowe's) I am not sure how well they work, but it should allow you to re-aim your dish yourself since it sounds like you have easy access.

If you find you never need it again, you can try to return it from wherever you got it and its only the time to buy and return. Who knows, you may find it useful in the future and just keep it. Just know your settings from your Point Dish Screen and that should help as well.

10. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    First, when you take off the dish, do not change the skew or elevation adjustments on the dish. Just loosen the two nuts to the bolts that hold the dish mount to the mast.

It's a pretty easy job, if you have access to the attic under the place, where the dish is fastened. After you reroof, just go back under the roof and push a ling nail back through a couple of the holes that were left after the mounting pole was removed.

Remount the pole with either the old lag screws or new ones.

Make sure that the pole is dead plumb.

Remount the dish onto the pole. Make it snug but not so tight that you can not swing it on the pole. A DirecTV Phase III pole might be easier, since it has better plumb adjustments than the standard Dish Network pole. The new shingles will likely have changed the surface angles of the mounting area for the pole's foot. Having the pole dead plumb is most important part of the operation.

Connect the cables and remount the lnb(s) in the same way before they were removed. Get on the signal meter installation screen. Swing the dish from the left to the right and back until the signal is peaked.

Tighten the nuts mounting the dish to the pole, and you're done.

11. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    An important question: Are you just replacing one layer of shingles, layer for layer??

If you've got multiple layers, they should all come off. If you're adding a layer on top of the existing layer (of course, not recommended ;)), or going all the way down and replacing the decking also, these things will all have a small effect on the pitch. Or am I just being picky?

(I will have to deal with all this myself in several more years. I have three (I didn't do it!) layers of asphalt shingles on top of wood shingles, with skip sheathing underneath! :rolleyes: I'm not gonna replace it until I'm damn good and ready! ;) )

12. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    I agree with Mike500 - it's pretty darn easy.

I had my roof re-done a few years ago, and while they were at it. i took the oppertunity to put the dish on a tripod (if you saw my lot you would understand). If you don't upset the angle / skew, and your pole is plumb (like it's supposed to be), remounting is pretty simple. At worst, follow the advice I always give - cover the 110 LNB with aluminum foil, peak up 119, remove foil, then check switch. Works every time.

13. musicmaker2020

musicmaker2020 AllStar

Apr 19, 2004
    Now THAT is creative! :lol:

14. Larry

Larry AllStar/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 1, 2003
    I just had a new roof put on my house last week. I removed the dish and the top bracket, the roofers removed and reinstalled the lower mounting bracket and pipe (at no extra charge), and I reinstalled and aligned the dish. They used the same holes and all in all, it went quite well.

Three things to think about...1) There is no need to mess with the elevation or the skew (just loosen the two bolts and lift off the dish). 2)If you first mark the dish position on the pipe and on the top bracket with a Sharpie pen, you should be able to get your alignment right on the first try. 3) Make sure the lower bracket and pipe is reinstalled in the correct direction (and is plumb) before the roofing goop dries. (Mine was put back in reversed, but I did catch it in time and they corrected it.)

15. Grampa67

Grampa67 Legend

Mar 14, 2005
    The roofers that I had said that they would put the dish back in the same location. When they were done they said to turn on the tv and check reception. The set was dead. I went on the roof and something looked wrong. I had quit a time with a language barrier so I said I would take care of it. When they mounted the mast they had it 180 out so they just rotated the dish on the mast. I removed the mount and was installing the lag bolts when a roofer handed me his hammer to install the bolts.

After I installed the mast in the proper direction I rotated the dish 180 and had a good signal.

Never trust a roofer!!

16. nmoulton

nmoulton Cool Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Thanks to everyone for all the good ideas. So I guess it won't hurt to try myself. I'll take measurements for where the mounting is now. If it doesn't work, I'll get one of those signal meters.

I didn't realize buying a meter was cheaper than having a tech do it. That make the decision easy. By the way, aquiring and then selling a meter sounds like a perfect job for ebay.

Thanks much!
    Norm

17. tonyp56

tonyp56 Godfather

Apr 25, 2004
    I'm sorry but everyone is making this more complicated than it really is. Punch in your Zip code in your receiver, pre-set everything except Azimuth, install the mass somewhere that looks like it will have a clear view of the southern sky and make sure everything is level, set your dish onto the mass point it in the general direction that it should be pointed, have someone else check the signal strength on the TV, (use radios, or just open a window) move the dish in small increments trying to find the strongest position, tighten the bolts and your done.

I installed my first dish when I was sixteen, (drilled holes into brick, ran the coax, etc...) it wasn't brain surgery!

18. navy8ball

navy8ball Legend/Supporter

Mar 23, 2002
    you could also consider having the roofers mount a pole through the roof like they do vent pipes and the dish would slide on this just like it does on its own pipe then you wouldnt have to use lag screws.and if you use a pipe like they have for electric power boxes it has a gooseneck at the top of it and you can run the coax right through the attic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.