1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a replacement DVR.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by 420benz, Sep 28, 2009.

1. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    My HR20-700 is dead. They will coming to replace it with another.Which one will i receive? Which is the better one?

2. shedberg

shedberg Icon

Jan 20, 2007
    You will get whatever model they have. It is a crapshoot. I prefer the HR20-700 myself but I am sure others will chime in. The only advantage that some have are larger hard drives but I hear they are a bit slower to react to remotes for some people.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Do you currently use the OTA built-in tuner in your HR20? If so, hopefully a note was put on your account. That way if you get something other than an HR20, you might be able to swing an AM21 for free. Otherwise, you will need to pay $50 for one.

Also, along with the HR22 and HR23 having a larger harddrive than the HR20 and HR21, the HR23 does not require BBC's.

- Merg

4. Oct 1, 2009 #4 of 79
    420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    Don't need OTA and i don't know what BBC is.

5. Oct 1, 2009 #5 of 79
    Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    This is a BBC

6. Oct 1, 2009 #6 of 79
    MoInSTL

MoInSTL Legend

Mar 29, 2006
    My HR20-700 was replaced and a note was added. I was sent two badly refurbished -100s. On one the lid was on crooked and vibrated loudly. After returning both I got a brand new HR22 and they shipped me a free AM21 when I explained I rely on my OTA when sat signals drop during bad storms to keep track of weather info. Was not charged for shipping either.

7. Oct 1, 2009 #7 of 79
    CT_Wiebe

CT_Wiebe Legend

Oct 7, 2007
    420benz -- A BBC is needed (except for the HR23) in order to receive the, mpg4, HD channels. If you don't care about getting these HD channels, then you don't need a BBC. The HR23's have the internal circuits needed to tune in the mpg4 HD channels (the older DVRs, and HD receivers, don't have that capability, and need the external BBCs).

PS -- The BBCs are free if you pay for the HD channels package.

8. Oct 5, 2009 #8 of 79
    rnwjr

rnwjr Cool Member

Dec 26, 2006
    I have a DirecTV DVR - R15-100 that just died so I upgraded to a DirecTV HD DVR at half price and added the DIRECTV PROTECTION PLAN for $5.99 per month... (I wish I added it sooner, but like they say it only hurts for a little while...) If the new unit is not a 23 will it ship with the BBC's or should I have asked for them?

9. Oct 5, 2009 #9 of 79
    footballcoach

footballcoach New Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Interested as well in this thread and your results. I woke this morning and my HR20-700 was dead as well. Tried the reboot to no avail.

I called in (I also have the protection plan) and they are shipping me the unit which should arrive in 2-3 days.

Any idea what one would get through the protection plan? I assume a refurb'd HR20-700?

10. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007
    You could get any HR2x model. It's just whatever is on top of the stack when they grab it to put your label on the box.

11. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    The drive on our HR20-700 died a few weeks ago. We have the protection plan. I was hoping for the newest model because I would like a bigger hard drive & am leery of using eSata right now. We got what I assume is a refurbished HR20-700.

12. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    You get whatever is next to be shipped out of the warehouse. Since you both have HR20's, you were probably asked if you used OTA. If you answered yes to that, there is a note given the warehouse to try to ship you a HR20 if one is available. That is the closest DirecTV has to requesting a specific model when you get a replacement.

The only benefit the PP offers to those receiving replacement receivers is that the replacement is marked as owned if the defective one was owned and there is not shipping fee required.

You can also see what receiver you are going to get by looking up your Recent Orders via your on-line DirecTV account. It will list the make and model of the receiver being shipped to you.

- Merg

13. HDJulie

HDJulie Icon DBSTalk Club

Aug 10, 2008
    Yes, they did ask about OTA & I said No, we are not using it.

The PP also covers the cost of the receiver. I did not pay anything for the "new" one. I believe without the plan, it would have cost something?

I did look online & saw they were shipping the HR20-700 the day after I called with the problem.

14. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    D* came on Thursday and replaced my bad HR-20-700 with a NEW HR-23-700.
    He also replaced my R15-100 which i was having a recording with,with an R16-300.He checked the signal on both boxes and it was down in the low 60s so he replaced the Dish. I am one happy camper. Only have two small problems: Both new boxes are Black and the Guide on the HR-23-700 is sooooo slow. I suggest spending 6.00 for a protection plan.

15. 420benz

420benz Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Georgia
    Both boxes are running at about 101 degrees. Is that a good temp?

16. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    That's a very reasonable temperature.
    My two boxes run from 99 to 115.

My HR23's guide is slower than the HR20.

17. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    The PP only saves you the cost of shipping when replacing a receiver. It will also allow an owned box to be replaced with a box that is tagged as owned. A leased recevier is replaced for only the cost of shipping if you do not have the PP. As I stated, the PP does not do much for you regarding the receivers. It's biggest benefit comes from the free service tech visits and repairs of your dish, cabling, and switches in case something goes wrong with them.

- Merg

18. iamqnow

iamqnow Legend

Dec 26, 2007
    I am really hoping I got a correct statement from D*last night. On another forum I wrote about troubles with my HR20-700 losing picture but not audio on recording playbacks. Now it's happening on real time viewing as well. The hard drive is also making a new racket, kind of like a grinding noise. So I called last night and after all the standard questions and answers, the rep said I would be shipped another receiver. Obviously this is the luck of the draw, so I asked if I could lease one at BestBuy and get exactly what I want, and get a partial credit and no commitment extension. Of course she said no, but she would switch me to a senior rep. after I stated and she agreed, that so far I have rec'd 3 defective refurbs in the past few years. The new rep. reviewed my account and said she could definitely ship a new unit, $19.95 shipping, no extension and it will be new, not refurbished. We shall see!

19. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    If you don't have the PP, then $19.95 for a replacement is standard. There also is not a commitment extension as you are having a defective receiver replaced. As for getting a new receiver vs. a refurbished one, it is going to be the luck of the draw. Go into your account info on DirecTV.com and look up recent orders. You should see the order for your replacement there and in the details it will state what they are shipping you. If the receiver has an "R" at the end of it, it is refurbished (e.g. HR21-100R).

- Merg

20. iamqnow

iamqnow Legend

Dec 26, 2007
    Yes, as I mentioned, I know all about "ya gets what ya gets" but I went over this with the so called senior rep and was promised a new unit. It will be interseting if this was a truthful statement. And... the D* site only shows a pending order for an HD/DVR. No anything listed .