1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a Sony 46" 1080p rear projection LCD, what resolution?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ejjames, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejjames

ejjames Icon

Oct 2, 2006
    I am getting this set on Saturday and will feed it a HDMI signal from my HR20. my thinking is since it is a 1080p set, I should leave the output fixed at 1080i. For those of you with experience with this kind of display, is there any reason to, for example, feed it a 720p signal when the source is 720p?

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    You should try and check by your own eyes, then share with us.

3. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    As P Smith said, your own eyes are the best measuring device that you have.

That said, you may find that you like the way the Sony de-interlaces and scales 480i better than the way the HR20 does. You may also find that you like what your Sony does with a 720p signal, instead of letting the HR20 scale, interlace, then send it to be de-interlaced by the HDTV.

My basic idea with this is to keep the processing steps to a minimum. Here are the settings I use with my 1080p.

480p, 720p, and 1080i selected. Native=ON, and Format=stretch (Even though I don't like my 4:3 stretched, I just let the HDTV pillar box it).

So, 480i is de-interlaced to 480p by the HR20 and sent to the HDTV where it is directly scaled to 1080p (and also pillarboxed by the TV). (One de-interlace, and one scale.)

720p is sent to the display where it is scaled directly to 1080p. (One scale).

1080i is sent directly to the display where it is de-interlaced. (One de-interlace).

I've spent a lot of time messing with it, and these are the settings that I have finally settled on.

Some will tell you that Native=off, and 1080i is the way to go, and for them (and perhaps, for you) that may be the best choice (channel changes will, in fact, be faster as there are no resolution changes to deal with).

The drawbacks of this setup, to me, are that you are stuck using the HR20 pillars to frame SD programming (they include no overscan, so you see a lot of "junk" in the "gutters" of the frame), and, IMHO, it does a poor job with 720p programming. With 1080i only selected, 720p is scaled to 1080, interlaced, sent to the display where it is then de-interlaced to 1080p. That's a lot of steps. On my display, to my eyes, there is definitely an advantage to sending the native 720 progressive stream to the TV.

All that said, on this topic in particular, YMMV!

Good luck, and I hope you thoroughly enjoy the new HDTV!

4. ejjames

ejjames Icon

Oct 2, 2006
    If you turn native "on" and select 720p and 1080i, how is standard 480i handled? is it displayed as 720p or 1080i?

5. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Hall Of Fame

Jan 26, 2007
    480i is converted to the next higher available resolution. In the case you stated above, it would be de-interlaced and scaled to 720p.

The effect of this is as follows:

If you are set up as you stated, and are watching a 480i channel, you are outputting 720p, and your TV should report this as the case. When you change to a 1080i channel, there will be a delay as the HR and your TV adjust to the new resolution.

If you change from a 480i to a 720p channel, it will take less time, as neither the HR nor the TV have to re-adjust.

Did this answer your question?

6. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Two cents from a Sony 46" Bravia XBR2 user.
    Native on, 480i, 720p, & 1080i
    YMMV
    Try all of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.