1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Getting DirecTV to send a replacement DVR w/o a truck roll??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tkrandall, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Jul 8, 2013 #1 of 14
    tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    My brother has DirecTV at a lake house. One of the DVRs, and HR21-100, is clearly going bad. Video stops/stutters, sometime freezes, unit has to be re-booted, etc. We even got a hard drive error message, code 14-023, yesterday saying try a re-boot. Other receivers in the house do just fine.

He says he has called several times and they stall with all the trouble shooting steps and then say they will not ship a replacement unit w/o a truck roll. Problem is, he is only there occasionally. Is there any way to get them to send a replacement unit/recovery kit without a truck roll? Do they even want HR21-100s back?

If not, perhaps try a dealer/installer in the local area (Clemson SC area).

Also, all of this should be no-renewal commitment - unit is clearly faulty.

Thx!

2. Jul 8, 2013 #2 of 14
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    14 | On Screen Text: “Internal Storage Error Detected. A problem was detected reading your internal storage device. Please call Customer Service at 1-800-DIRECTV and report the diagnostic code displayed below. Diagnostic Code: 14” | What to do: Select "Reboot" to reset Receiver.
    If still a problem: Do NOT try to reformat from the front panel. Replace Receiver.

Call them for a replacement. I just got one a couple of months ago.

3. Jul 8, 2013 #3 of 14
    tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    Did they ship it to you, or do a truck roll?

4. Jul 8, 2013 #4 of 14
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    They shipped it to me. I paid the $20 shipping. It came Fed-X second day delivery. I called in on Wednesday and had it installed by Friday evening.

5. Jul 8, 2013 #5 of 14
    tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    OK, Thx - I will have him re-try. Maybe asked for th activation dept?

6. Jul 8, 2013 #6 of 14
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Getting a truck roll will probably increase your chances of getting a "better" DVR like an HR24.

7. Jul 9, 2013 #7 of 14
    georgewells

georgewells AllStar

Feb 23, 2006
    Hayden,Idaho
    What is a Truck Roll ??

Thanks

8. Jul 9, 2013 #8 of 14
    Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    A service tech will come to the premises to troubleshoot and/or replace the defective part.

9. Jul 9, 2013 #9 of 14
    Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Is this the case where he has a DirecTV account at home and has taken one of his DVRs to the lake house and leaves it there? If that is the case I'm wondering if DirecTV has noticed that it hasn't called in from it's service address in a long time so they suspect it is being used in a different location so they want to do a truck roll to make sure all of the receivers for the account are at the service location like they are supposed to be.

If this is the case he should just bring the DVR home with him and hook it up there, then call and have the service call done at his home. Then after it is replaced the next time he goes back to the lake house he can take the new reciever with him.

10. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    No. The lake house is the service address.

11. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    The first thing to remember when you KNOW your receiver needs replacing is to NEVER tell DirecTV about diagnostic codes or symptoms or anything else that results in a big "troubleshooting" waste of time. Just say "it's DEAD". No lights, no picture on the TV and the wall outlet works fine with a table lamp. Even better, tell them your OTHER DirecTV receiver(s) are working fine if you have more than one receiver.

1 person likes this.
  12. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Agree, because how it acts on paper, is rarely the way its really acting!. Agree tell them it won't power up!

13. inkahauts

inkahauts DIRECTV A-Team

Nov 13, 2006
    Actually, if you tell them a code that says its dead, they will go with that as well.

14. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    That is exactly what happened to my HR23.
    They still had about 6 or 8 things they asked me. The last question in the list was "Did you check the power breaker ? "
    I explained to her that if every other thing plugged into that outlet was working that it could not be the breaker.
    The whole process took about 15 minutes.