1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

getting flat roof ripped and installed tomorrow..dish options

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by mikeny, Aug 30, 2010.

1. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    Hi. I do have a leak coming from my flat roof and tomorrow I'm supposed to have a rip and install job. My Slimline SW3 is there. The contractor that is doing the job seemed content to just put the dish back after they do the roofing job. Another contractor told me I shouldn't do it and that it voids the GAF warranty as well. He suggested mounted it to the fascia of the house or some other way. He also said that the water problem I 'm having could in fact be from the dish and may have traveled. Who knows...

Should I call DirecTV and ask for another install option?

I appreciate the input.

2. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    I just called DirecTV and they agreed to waive the $49 relocate dish fee but said that I would need to pay an installer on Wed. (1 day after the roof install...not bad) $65 for a non penetrating dish mount. I think it's one that needs to be secured with concrete blocks. I have no problem with that charge and I think I'll be more at peace with not drilling into it again. The CSR led me to believe that they will provide all necessary accessories.

I assume this includes the concrete blocks. He didn't really seem to have all the specs on the mount and I wondered if it was the one that I saw on solid signal from a link on this site. http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...c&utm_source=google_base_03_Mounting_Supplies

3. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    That should include everything needed to remount the dish, yes.

The mount is very, very similar to the one you linked to, but has a 2" mast for the Slimline. The one you posted is the wrong size; it will only work with the basic and multisat dishes, not the Slimline.

4. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    Excellent. Thanks for your reply.

5. Blaze

Blaze Legend

Jun 9, 2010
    I wouldn't mount it back on the roof, Fascia mount it or pole.

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    A non-pen mount will be fine. Nearly every commercial installation is done that way, with almost zero problems.

7. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    If you have the means to do so, I'd acquire 6 to 8 blocks ahead of time. Odds are very high that the tech won't have them and will require a trip to your local lowes/home depot to get them. All adding additional time to your appointment.

8. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    Thanks Robert. That's what I was imagining that might happen.

9. phlevin

phlevin AllStar

Apr 3, 2007
    Try and get the blocks (solid, not cored) in place before alignment. Also, they make mats to go under the non-penetrating mount, they're synthetic rubber. Not time to order but maybe something available locally would also work.

attached spec sheet

10. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
  11. yogi

yogi Legend

Feb 8, 2006
    Talk to your roofers. They will tell you what you need to do. so you won't void your warranty.
    They need to put down a rubber mat, Then the non-pen mount. Use 8 or more blocks (so you have a even count on all sides). It doesn't matter if they are solid or cored.

12. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    Solid blocks are heavier, and will hold down the mount better.

13. yogi

yogi Legend

Feb 8, 2006

What I mean is most installers use 12x8 Hollows or 6x8 solids. That is why I said it didn't matter.:)

14. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    I called DirecTV and they assured me that they will bring ALL required materials to do this (sled syle mount she called it) install. I asked if this included the concrete blocks and the protective rubber mat, and was told "yes". She put it in the notes as well.

I still would be surprised if they showed up with 8 concrete blocks and this (optional) mat .

15. Manctech

Manctech Icon

Jul 5, 2010
    Unless the mat comes in the box I doubt it will. However if the notes say bring sled they know to bring the blocks. DO NOT let them use bags of concrete. This used to be allowed a couple years back but the bags would deteriorate over time and concrete is considered a hazardous material. It started eating away at the roof.

16. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    I've never heard of using bags of concrete, which is idiotic given that concrete is chemically-reactive!

This is what you're looking for:

[​IMG]

17. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    That's a good picture. Is there a mat underneath? I wonder if this is the mat http://www.3starinc.com/protective_rubber_mat_layer_for_non-penetrating_antenna_roof_mount.html I see it's used with http://www.3starinc.com/non-penetrating_roof_mount_30_inch_mast_with_2_00_inch_o_d_.html which is described as "......mounts AU9S Dish, DirecTV 5 LNB Dish AU9 Slimline, WildBlue, SuperDISH, DirecTV Ka/Ku (HD Dishes), Satellite Dishes compatible with the SUPERDMOUNT, DirecTV AT9, DBS Direct Broadcast Satellite and FTA Free to Air using a 2.00 inch OD Outside Diameter Mounting Pipe. "

I'm surprised the mat is described as only 3/32 inch thick. That's not a lot.

I wonder what The Home Depot has an alternative.

My install window starts in less than 4 hours!

18. samrs

samrs MANC

May 30, 2004
    Flat Branch, NC
    With the DirecTv approved mounts we use the rubber mat comes in the box.

If the tech dosn't call by ten call DirecTv for an ETA.

19. mikeny

mikeny Hall Of Fame

Aug 20, 2006
    Thanks. I was just about to make a Home Depot run. Do you guys bring the concrete blocks too?

20. phlevin

phlevin AllStar

Apr 3, 2007
    Solid blocks since they're heavier for the same volume. Cored is one more place for leaves and debris to accumulate. (see the chart with winds, area of dish and weight that was previously attached)

With all that weight, mat thickness is not an issue, something that is non reactive and can with stand the elements. Your roofer may have something or advice.

What the installer will bring even with the notes is unknown. Hope it works out well.