1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting frustrated with Dish

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by rickm1350, Apr 25, 2010.

1. rickm1350

rickm1350 New Member

Apr 25, 2010
    I've had Dish Network with their "Everything" package for about 13 years. It used to be that when you call Dish customer support, you would get someone who spoke and understood the english language fluently, not anymore. It seems that the last few times, I've gotten someone at an overseas call center. You can always tell, no matter how they try to mask it.

My Dish account is setup for auto pay, so I normally don't pay attention to it.

However, I noticed that it was like $142 and had gone up by about 4 or 5 dollars the last couple of months.

I tried to log onto my account online, since I'm on paperless billing. I get a message telling me that they are having problems with their web site and to try later.

So I call the toll free number and their overseas call center tells me that the reason it went up was for an extra receiver that I have.. huh? that receiver belongs to me, why am I being billed for it now? No explanation.

Today, I'm seriously thinking of dumping Dish, simply over their overseas customer support that I've received the last couple of times I've had to call, plus their prices..

Today I'm looking at my account online, they apparently have their web site fixed...

When I first got HD, it was $10 per month. Today, I notice on my account, they are charging me $10 for Gold HD and another $10 for Platinum HD. Huh? why am I paying both?

So I call their toll free number again.. numerous times.... no answer! Huh? I check the number on their web site, call again, no answer...

Then I notice on their web site that I can get "Live Chat"...

Another overseas call center... you can always tell, especially from the canned responses they give.

But this person wants to argue with me that the price of my service has not gone up.. and also wants to argue with me that I never paid $10 for HD service..

Then he tells me to wait a minute and let him check to see if there are any "promotions on your account". Then he comes back with Congratulations, you qualify for Platinum HD free!

Huh? What? if that's the case, why did I have to call to get that little promo? and when did they raise HD access by $10? And if it's free to me, why have you been overbilling me all this time? Why? And why can't I get through to your toll free number?

The guy gives me another number to try.. still no answer on that number either.

so the guy just keeps congratulating me for qualifying for the free Platinum HD promo... I get frustrated and disconnect.

Is this Dish's standard practice? I guess I should pay closer attention to my auto-pay bill, but I was hoping they would be a bit more honest.

Is Direct TV any better?

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Some of your complaints not withstanding...

You just noticed today that your bill was higher than it was 4 or 5 months ago? And this is Dish's fault that you don't pay attention to your own bill?

I agree Dish has some flaky pricing sometimes and does not advertise all specials to all customers in timely manner... but you really need to watch your bill each month and call that month if you have a problem... not 5 months later.

On the "why pay for a receiver I own" question... As far as I can tell, you always have had to pay Dish a monthly fee regardless of lease or own for all receivers after the first one on the account.

DirecTV and cable companies do this as well... so perhaps Dish was doing the same thing you were doing the last 5 months... and not paying attention and actually were under-billing you all that time and they just noticed it and corrected your bill.

Without knowing more details specific to your situation, it's hard to tell how much is a justified complaint and how much is a rant.

3. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Last year DISH had a promotion where the first three months of Platinum HD were free. When signing up for the $10 HD (Bronze/Silver/Gold) it was typically added. Unless the customer proactively canceled Platinum HD the $10 charge was added after the free three months.

That promotion was changed sometime last year and the three month limit ended. Many people found that if they canceled their HD service then readded it they could cut the cost of "HD + Platinum HD" from a total of $20 down to $10. According to the DISH website the promotion is for new HD customers only ... but they have been allowing people to cancel HD and readd it to get the price reduced.

It is possible that you added the $10 HD at a time when Platinum was free for three months. At the time the CSRs pretty much added it automatically and a minor fight was needed to get it canceled. Perhaps this is how it happened for you.

As Stewart noted, receivers owned or leased carry a fee. The fee is the same whether owned or leased - the only thing that changes is the name of the fee.

4. rickm1350

rickm1350 New Member

Apr 25, 2010
    where in my post did I say 5 months? What I said was that it had gone up 4 or 5 dollars over the past couple of months. When I called, they explained that they recently raised the price for an extra reciever.

I also said that I have been a Dish Network customer for about 13 years. Their prices goes up, seemingly without warning, from time to time. Since I am on their paperless billing, they seem to just raise prices without any notification. While they claim they sent me a letter telling me that they were going to raise the price for the extra receiver, I can guarantee you that I did not receive that letter, nor did I receive any email from them about it.

I also said that when Dish first started HD that it was $10 per month. I was questioning why I was paying for Dish Network HD twice, once for HD Gold and again for HD Platinum.

Then I was also wondering why this fellow from their overseas call center kept trying to argue with me, he was actually telling me that they have not raised their prices in 6 years. I'm not so sure about that..

I think it's sad that I have to call and complain about their prices before they tell me "Congratulations, you qualify to get HD Platinum free".

I mean seriously, I've been a customer of theirs for a very long time, they know that. They should treat their long time customers a bit better than that.

5. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    Dish has raised their prices in February every year for as long as I can remember. They don't just randomly raise they in June, November, May, or whenever. It has always Been February.

6. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    rickm1350 if you've been a customer for 13 years you should be used to DISH. Most of your complaints fall on deaf ears and have been well covered on the forums. Your complaint on receiver prices went into effect Feb 1st and were known or rumored back in Dec.09. If your bills are getting too high maybe it is time to pay attention to what you are subscribing to and what you have for equipment. Do you need all the programming? Do you need all the HD DVRs? Maybe it is time to look at the competetitors?

7. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    You're right... I misread that part of your post. Sorry about that.

This is a "depends" situation... IF you are talking about suddenly being charged for an additional receiver that you weren't being charged for previously... then that would be a mistake that Dish finally corrected.

IF you are talking about an additional receiver that you always paid extra for, but are now paying more for than you used to... then that would be the result of the price increases this past February.

8. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    A little more pricing history ...
    Platinum HD only became available in August 2008.
    Three "HD Only" channels and HD versions of SD channels were sold as BronzeHD, SilverHD and GoldHD.Gold HD is all the HD versions of channels in AT250 (plus HDNet, HD Theater and Paladia).

Platinum HD was seven "HD Only" channels in a separate $10 package
    Different content ... that is why you would be charged for each package.

For a few months prior (February 2008-August 2008) DISH had DishHD Essentials (the $10 add on) and DishHD Ultimate (the $20 full package). They have had other pricing plans before that, but August 2008 would have been the first use of the "medal" names for the packages.

I believe it was only in August of last year when DISH started offering "HD & Platinum HD" for $10 instead of the separate "medal" packages. At this time you cannot sign up for just BronzeHD, SilverHD or GoldHD. "HD & Platinum HD" is the only option.

AT250 has had a price increase in February of EVERY YEAR since 2002. The name changed from AT150 to AT180 in 2004 and to AT250 in 2007. (AT stands for "America's Top" in this abbreviation.) AT150 was introduced in 2000 ... as a 13 year subscriber your options would have been AT40 or AT50 (the packages that have now grown into AT120 and AT200).

This February (2010) was the first where DISH did not change the price of their packages. They changed extra receiver fees instead. For single receiver customers it was no price increase ... for the multiple dual room DVR customers it was more substantial.

You may want to log in to your account (or call DISH) and make sure your accurate addresses and email address are on file. If you're missing communications from them it is best to get that fixed.

9. rickm1350

rickm1350 New Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Ok, so I've learned something here... Dish Network raises their prices in Februrary. Maybe that's the 4 or 5 dollar increase that I saw.

And no, I was not aware that they only raise prices in February, and I certainly did not know that it has been discussed in these forums. If you guys notice, I just signed up here today. I've never really been here before and haven't read a lot here.

I have checked my address and my email with my Dish account, they are correct.

I still say that if I subscribed to Dish HD at $10 per month, and Dish added 7 more channels and called that package Platinum HD, they surely should have asked me if I wanted to subscribe to that, instead of just adding it to my bill.

This seems as bad as the cell phone companies adding things to your account that you didn't authorize or ask for.. However, now that I know this is also Dish Network's practice, you can guarantee that I'll look at my bill each month and question any rate increases, especially those that I was not notified of, nor authorized.

And to answer the other points raised here.. no, I don't need all those channels, I rarely ever watch satellite TV... however, the rest of my family does not agree.

10. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    In your second post you said you have been a customer for 13 years. While I understand why you may not have kept track of it being February, you did note that you noticed the regular price increases.

May I ask why this particular increase set off the red flag?

(BTW: This year's increase was raising the extra receiver costs. You apparently have two non-HD receivers on your account. Prior to February the cost per month was $5 each and now they are $7 each. Or some other combination that adds up to the increase you saw.)

We do have a fair number of people who visit without registering and then register when they have something to say. Many say they have been reading for years, so it isn't out of the question that you might have read before joining.

In any case, :welcome_s

For a definitive answer we would need to know more about your account and what you said yes to over the years. As I mentioned, the package choice when you signed up 13 years ago was AT40 or AT50. You obviously made some choices along the way to upgrade to get the $10 HD. And likely more choices to get your current HD receiver. It is likely that one or more of those choices included the requirement to accept the $20 HD.

If you added $10 HD before February 2003 you would only have seven channels. The packages sold after that were more expensive (and had more channels). Eventually DISH reintroduced the $10 level and split some channels to the second $10 level.

When did you first get HD?

Did someone else in your family change your service? Add HD? Buy/lease more receivers?

11. janeslogin

janeslogin Legend

Dec 13, 2006
    I try to get a paper copy of my bill with all my utilities including Dish Network™.

Whether it is garbage of phone or Dish it often easier discuss with paper in hand as one can see last months dates and amount as well as current etc. The paper copy has saved me some money and much grief when arguing small amounts.

In the early days of widespread computer use one Genichi Taguchi recommended triplicated records. This is what many of us had in the old days of paying by cheque, we had the bank statement, the checkbook log and the canceled check. All could be compared to the invoice. For Dish I have their printed invoice with my annotation that it has been paid. A printout of the instructions to the bank to pay it and a bank statement showing it has been paid.

12. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    We'd have to know a lot more about your account and programming choices you've made over the years to know for sure...

But here's an entirely possible scenario.

You could have subscribed to the original $10 package like I did... and had it during the year when they made the "Dish Ultimate" $20 package. I didn't have to do anything that year.. my bill went up $10 but I also had a lot more HD than before.

IF you didn't make any account changes... then you'd still be on that $20 "Ultimate" package as I believe you had to make changes to "drop" to the Dish HD "metal" package tiers and opt out of the Platinum add-on.

Dish is known for letting people stay in legacy packages... so that is one way you could legitimately be on the older $20 package because Dish assumes that is what you want.

13. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yes, PDF's of bills and payment confirmations can get lost, so we do print out the file and put it in a filing cabinet while discarding the one from the same month several years ago. However in recent years I have done most of my battles on line, emailing copies of PDF's. In order to assure that they can get it (some corporate web systems seem to screen out attachments), I post a copy on my web site include a link. It seems to work.

14. rickm1350

rickm1350 New Member

Apr 25, 2010
    problem resolved. I called back again, got another off shore call center, and simply asked to speak to a supervisor. Another person came on the line, who was obviously in the same off shore call center and said he was the supervisor. I asked if I could speak to someone who was not in an off shore call center, so he connected me to someone here in the U.S.

The lady I spoke to was very nice. She listened to me complain about the same things that I complained about here.

I told her that I had learned from this forum that Dish almost always raises their prices in February, she said that was correct.

I asked her why I was charged twice for HD, Gold and Platinum. She said that was added to my bill because I was subscribed to "Americas Everything" package, but said she did not know when it was added.

I asked her why, since I have been a long time customer, that I had to call to get better pricing. She agreed that I should not have to call, but told me that it was their policy not to offer better pricing unless the customer called and specifically requested it.

So then she told me that the off shore guy that I spoke to had been correct in offering me the HD Platinum free. Then, she did some other bundling of some sort, explained to me that I would save an additional $15 per month... then told me that she was going to give me the premium channels free for 3 months, then after that, my bill would be about $25 cheaper.

So, lesson learned here. Pay closer attention to the bill... and if I don't like what I'm seeing, call and ask what's going on.

I still maintain that's not the way to treat long time customers, but I can see why they do that. The cell phone companies have very similar practices. Both industries make millions from it each month.

15. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I was just about to say that... AT&T has done something similar a couple of times with their DSL charges. They had dropped rates, but existing customers never saw the drop unless they knew to call and ask for it.

16. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Most reductions are done to attract new customers ... The old customers agreed to the higher price. Going back and reducing everyone's bill costs money.

Although the good will in giving an automatic reduction certainly outweighs the bad will of a customer finding out they could be paying less. I have not had a service provider yet (sat, phone, whatever) that failed to give me an automatic increase unless there was a contract preventing it. Why not go both ways?

17. Stewart Vernon

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Dish did this once, and once only... I think it was 2003. They issued a package discount of $2 that year for a particular configuration I already had... and thus my bill automatically dropped $2 per month that year without me having to do anything.

I am pretty sure that is the only time it ever happened with Dish, or any other company I've ever dealt with.

18. rickm1350

rickm1350 New Member

Apr 25, 2010
    I was just looking at my billls online. I have not changed programming in several years.. and the last time I changed, it was to add HD.

They definitely started charging me $10 more for HD Platinum... I never authorized that.. but they have it resolved now by not billing seperate for HD and again for Platinum. Now, my bill says HD and Platinum is $10.

Also, I notice that at some point, they lowered the "everything" package. They were charging $102.98 and now it's $99.99. That happened within the past year.

And someone here said I should make sure that my notification address was correct with Dish. I haven't changed home or email or telephone or cellphone number in many years. When the overseas customer service person said I qualified for a promotion and changed me from HD - $10 and Platinum - $10 to HD and Platinum $10, I received a flurry of email messages notifying me of the change. I think I received 4. One seemed to show the decrease, one seemed to show it change back to where it was, the next showed it changed again, and the next appeared to show it was back to $20.

The email was what prompted me to call and insist on speaking to someone in a non-overseas callcenter. As I stated above, the lady I spoke to gave me a different bundle, that will lower my overall price, then gave me the premimum channels free for 3 months. On these changes, I did not receive any email notification at all from Dish, which leads me to believe it wasn't sent.

19. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    You should be able to check your packages at your account on line after a day or so.